Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

I need some wiring help guys 08 Jun 2007 09:44 #147482

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
This for a 1977 KZ650 charging system only.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I need some wiring help guys 08 Jun 2007 10:24 #147502

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Does the 77 KZ650 have an ON/PO/OFF switch on the right hand switchgear or is the headlight on all the time?

The main difference between the wiring diagram supplied and the full wiring diagram is that there are additional switched DC wires coming off the ignition switch. There will be a blue, brown and a red coming off the ignition switch in addition to the one running to your kill switch (off the kill switch, you will have a BLACK (starter solenoid trigger going to starter button and a yellow/red powering your coils).

The BLUE subcircuit will work your brake lights and will power your headlight; it will go through the on/off switch on your right switchgear and then over to the hi/lo beam switch on the left OR go direct out of the ignition switch to the hi/lo. Another leg of the blue is the power for your brake light... it goes through both a front and rear brake light switch where when the switch closes, the brake light lights.

The brown coming off the ignition switch does horn, turn signals... brown to the turn signal relay then the wires out will be either light gray or light green out to the flashers. The wire to the horn goes through the horn button then direct down to the horn itself.

The red is the running light inside the brake light. It is essentially a wire direct off the ignition switch going back to the brake light. They gave the brake running light its own wire/circuit for safety so that if the blue or brown circuit blows, you will still have a brake light.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

I need some wiring help guys 08 Jun 2007 10:40 #147511

• Jay1823
  • Jay1823's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
The lights do not stay on all the time. It also does not have a stock ignition. There's a toggle switch as the power on/kill switch and a push button start. The lights are connected to another toggle switch.

That diagram above is gonna be a huge help. I do have a question about that green coming of the regulator. Is that field coil in the stator? I have a wire that i believe goes to that green spot on the regulator and it's in the same bunch of wires coming out of the stator.

Post edited by: Jay1823, at: 2007/06/08 13:47

I need some wiring help guys 08 Jun 2007 10:58 #147522

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
If you have a 3 wire stator, the wires will be yellow I think... the three yellow wires will TEE... one of the legs of each yellow wire will go to the regulator and rectifier. There should also be a "feedback" wire. This will connect to a brown wire on the wiring harness. The brown wire is just switch DC and its voltage level tells the regulator how much power to put out. There will be a WHITE or WHITE/RED wire coming off the regulator and connecting to the rectifier where it comes out and it is connected to the battery and main fuse (tees to do this). On the KZ900/KZ1000/Z1, there is a GREEN wire in the harness coming off the stator but it has nothing to do with the stator. It connects to a switch on the gear shift neutral indicator. It doesn't actually connect to the regulator but runs up to the idiot light on the bike dash to indicate when you are in neutral.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

I need some wiring help guys 08 Jun 2007 11:06 #147527

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
The 77 KZ650 I worked on had 3 white (cloth covered) wires from the stator, not yellow, but they could be 3 yellows I suppose.

The green wire is for the field coil of the alternator.
The neutral wire would be red/green.

The field coil energizes the stator, so the green wire goes to the same area as the stator wires.

The best way to be sure is to look at the left side cover and look for those 3 screws on the cover.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2007/06/08 14:10

I need some wiring help guys 08 Jun 2007 11:20 #147536

• OnkelB
  • User
  • Thank you received: 80
Jay1823 wrote:

I do have a question about that green coming of the regulator. Is that field coil in the stator? I have a wire that i believe goes to that green spot on the regulator and it's in the same bunch of wires coming out of the stator.<br><br>Post edited by: Jay1823, at: 2007/06/08 13:47

Yes, the green wire (middle lug on the regulator) is the power for the field coil. If you look at the regulator with the lugs pointing to the right (the way it sits on a stock 77 650) the bottom lug should have a brown wire connected to it (power feed to the regulator coming from the a double plug on the flasher relay), the middle lug should have a green wire connected to it (power feed to the field coil) and the top lug should connect to ground (frame) through a black wire.

Edit: Dang, Lou types faster than I do, but I´ll post anyway - Lou´s right though, look at the stator cover (left side of engine), if there are three bolts in the center of the cover you have a 77.

Post edited by: OnkelB, at: 2007/06/08 14:21
77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.

I need some wiring help guys 08 Jun 2007 19:09 #147660

• Jay1823
  • User
I tell ya what, you guys are awesome. One thing i gotta make clear though, there is no stock wiring harness, so alot of these color references aren't helping me because this guy has multiple colors of wire spliced all over the place. I plan on building a completely new harness. The only correct color wires are the ones coming from the coil and stator, the rest is a hodge podge of junk.

The only part left i have questions on is the rectifier.

Seeing as i can't trust the wire colors on mine i need help with positions. One that diagram a few posts above i have no idea where to put the wires on the rectifier. Plus there's also the position that has a strip that leads to that bolt. These i need help with, after that it's off to harness building.

I need some wiring help guys 08 Jun 2007 21:33 #147688

• Jay1823
  • User
Well i'm retarded, i have to be overthinking all this shit. I'm so frustrated right now i'm about to torch this damn thing. I HATE WIRING!!!!!!

I need some wiring help guys 08 Jun 2007 22:19 #147702

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
Jay1823 wrote:

The only part left i have questions on is the rectifier.

I wouldn't trust that rectifier. If I had to guess, the pink, yellow, and green are the three AC inputs (connect to the three white from the stator), the red is the DC output, and the bolt is the DC ground. But without some careful testing, Iwouldn't hook it up. If you hook it up wrong, a lot of stuff can melt.

But you could make your own for about $20 from Radio Shack parts.

www.geocities.com/loudgpz/GPZdiy3phaseRectifier.html

I need some wiring help guys 09 Jun 2007 10:11 #147782

• Jay1823
  • User

The 3 wires from the stator are fine, those i know are coorect. It's the green wire. The one that has the little metal tab on it. I'm unsure how to wire that portion of it.

I need some wiring help guys 09 Jun 2007 14:23 #147824

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
The green wire from the alternator (stator area), just goes directly to the regulator. As OnkelB describes, it goes to the middle tab of the regulator. He also describes the other connections on the regulator. You can rely on his description, and apply it to the diagram I posted. The diagram uses three letter abbreviations for wire colors. BRN = brown, BLK = black, GRN = green.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2007/06/09 17:26

I need some wiring help guys 09 Jun 2007 18:43 #147875

• Jay1823
  • User
Yeah i know how to wire the regulator that's done, i need to know how to wire the rectifier. I know which ones are the stator wires and where they go on the rectifier. In the first pic i need to know where that green wire is supposed to go and where the wire on the backside where the nut to the bolt is, where that's supposed to go. I know ones negative and ones positive, i just need to know if it makes a difference hows it's hooked up.

Basically i want to knwo where that red wire goes in the simplified diagram and where that blk/yel goes on the rectifier. I know you guys are porbably screamign at your computers about how dense i am. Sorry but i don't want to screw anything up.