• Page:

TOPIC:

Problems starting KZ550 LTD 08 Mar 2007 18:46 #118520

• the_brian
  • the_brian's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi,

I just bought a KZ550 LTD. It was running fine, but I left the choke on while riding. I am pretty sure that the engine flooded, and because of that I drained the battery trying to start the flooded engine.

I have charged the battery, and now the it won't start. The engine won't turn over. When it is in 1st gear, and try to start it the bike starts to roll forward.

I am a new to the bike world and am at a loss as to what I should do. If you can offer some help i could really use it.

thanks
brian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Problems starting KZ550 LTD 08 Mar 2007 18:53 #118524

• oldcoldankles
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi Brian and welcome to the forum. I would suggest you check the oil level to make sure there isn't gas dilution in the oil and drain and refill it if necessary. Then take the plugs out and clean and dry them and check if the engine will crank over to blow out excess gas. When everything dries out you should be able to start in neutral and run the engine.

Post edited by: oldcoldankles, at: 2007/03/08 21:56
Peachland BC
1981 KZ1000 CSR M1
1983 KZ550 LTD M1 (Shaft)
1989 Corvette coupe

Problems starting KZ550 LTD 09 Mar 2007 05:08 #118601

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Change the spark plugs.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Problems starting KZ550 LTD 09 Mar 2007 07:47 #118643

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
the_brian wrote:

Hi,

I have charged the battery, and now the it won't start. The engine won't turn over. When it is in 1st gear, and try to start it the bike starts to roll forward.

thanks
brian

Are you saying the engine is stuck or it won't fire and run?

Also put the bike in Neutral when you try and start it, not first gear. If you are in first, and pushing the starter button makes the bike roll, I would think the clutch safety switch is bad or has been circumvented.
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Problems starting KZ550 LTD 10 Mar 2007 13:12 #119016

• outatimeoutlaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
If the engine won't turn over, you should check the function of the starter solonoid . What is the battery voltage before & after the solonoid?? Also take a look at the starter button. You can check this by holding a 12 v test light on the start terminal of the solonoid
while a helper holds the clutch in & pushes the start button. If the light lights up, then all of that is working. If it does'nt then you will hahave to back track that circuit.

Problems starting KZ550 LTD 10 Mar 2007 13:42 #119027

• torr10
  • User
Let's look at the whole post. First, he admits he's new so let's get some info straight. If the engine won't turn over, the bike won't roll when he tries to start it in 1st.

Second, every bike I've ridden has a safety switch that requires the clutch to be pulled in or it won't turn the starter.

So, let's surmise that he doesn't understand the difference between 'turning over' and 'firing' and there is something wrong with the clutch lever.

If you read the whole post, does that add any light to your responses? So far, it seems like no one noticed his information.

It sounds like he is trying to say the engine turns over but won't fire. That rules out the starter and the solenoid being the problem.

Changing the plugs will help..if they're bad, but the bike was running so they probably aren't bad enough not to start.

The gas, oil mixture was a good answer. But, if this is the case, he's putting a fouled plug back in. So he needs to check the oil for gas like you said, but he also need to clean his plugs, not replace them.

Post edited by: torr10, at: 2007/03/10 16:47

Problems starting KZ550 LTD 10 Mar 2007 21:24 #119130

• JimatMilkyWay
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
Hi torr10 and welcome to the forum.
It sounds like you have a little experience as a bike mechanic. What is your background?

Problems starting KZ550 LTD 11 Mar 2007 06:32 #119163

• torr10
  • User
Sorry Jim, not a bike mechanic, just an advocate of reading. I do have some background with cars, though. The principles are very similar in this case. :)

Post edited by: torr10, at: 2007/03/11 09:35

Problems starting KZ550 LTD 11 Mar 2007 16:18 #119277

• the_brian
  • the_brian's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Thanks guys!

I fixed it, thanks to your help. I am glad that everyone could see past my "engine ineptitude" and helped me anyway. I pulled the plugs and they smelled of gas. Thanks oldcoldankles, I drained the oil and replaced it, and replaced the plugs. Started on the first try!...although i did have to give it a little choke...I turned it off this time though after she had warmed up!

Thanks again!
Brian in Nashville

Problems starting KZ550 LTD 16 Mar 2007 18:06 #120845

• eMusicMan
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Wow - what timing with this post! I am brand new to motorcycles as well... and purchased a 1983 KZ550 LTD Shaft-drive...

I just did the same thing - I attempted to start the engine, and it barely turned-over so I'm thinking the battery might be dead/dying. But also now I am wondering if I might have flooded the engine trying to get it to go. It did 'fire' briefly, but not for long. I should note too this bike does run and quite well... but I keep hearing it's a pain to get started.

Should I start with replacing the battery since I the lights barely come on and such or how do I go about troubleshooting this?

Thanks for any help - I'm brand new to cycles and engines... :\

Problems starting KZ550 LTD 16 Mar 2007 18:54 #120857

• neilage66
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
In response to eMusicMan...
If your battery is weak (discharged) or unable to hold a full charge (old) your 550 will be reluctant to start easily. I am told that the ignition systems on these bikes is quite voltage sensitive. I replaced the battery last fall on my 81 550 and the difference was like night and day...started like a new and totally different animal! Make sure to do a visual check on the electrolyte (battery juice) at least once a month and top it off if necessary otherwise you can run it dry...ask me how I know. :whistle:

Problems starting KZ550 LTD 16 Mar 2007 20:38 #120899

• JimatMilkyWay
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
eMusicMan wrote:

.... - I attempted to start the engine, and it barely turned-over so I'm thinking the battery might be dead/dying....

If you own a DMM (Digital Multi Meter) or any test meter that actually measures voltage, _NOT_ a trouble light, then you can test your battery voltage. Simply put your test leads across the battery and hold them there _WHILE YOU PUSH THE START BUTTON_ and spin the engine with the starter.
Battery voltage tests are of no value, really, unless you test it under load.
If you don't own a cheap meter, you can get one at Radio Shack for ten bucks or so. It won't be much, but it beats a sharp stick in the eye. Your cranking voltage should not drop below 10Vdc or so, for at least half a minute. If it does, charge the battery and retest. If it drops below 9Vdc after charging for several hours, then replace battery.

• Page: