• Page:

TOPIC:

New Scooter 10 Jan 2007 18:20 #104827

• JimatMilkyWay
  • JimatMilkyWay's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
Hi biker dudes and dudettes
I picked up a new bike just before Thanksgiving and have a few issues with it. The first thing I would like is a personal contact or a web site which can tell me what I have. I assume the motor and frame/vin numbers would match if they were manufactured together. The vin/frame # is KZT00A-514890 and the motor # is KZT00AE 058546.
I am fouling the plugs after, oh, I guess 5 min. to 45 min engine run time. 5 Min if I let it idle; 45 Min if I crank it and take off, in a straight line like a bat out o' hell.
It runs like a mule pulling up a ladder till it starts to foul the plugs.
I think I like the sounds of the WG coil repower article I read.
I posted to craigslist about the coil repower circuit but did not get any hits. Am I asking toooo deep a subject matter for my first few posts?
I like to listen to music, does that strike a cord with anyone to get enough gumption to respond?
I bet you are also better looking than me, so don't be jealous of that either; just jump right in.
I would like to do my repower circuit then if I still foul plugs like clockwork, I would consider taking it to a shop that works on old bikes for old guys if there is one in my area.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New Scooter 10 Jan 2007 18:25 #104830

• JimatMilkyWay
  • User
Whoops
I may have posted in the wrong section for the first part of my post. I guess the chassis section should have gotten this. Should I repost or not?

New Scooter 10 Jan 2007 18:43 #104834

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
It reads like an electrical question to me, so I guess you posted in the right place.

I don't know why you are posting to CraigsList about the coil mod, all the info you need is located in the Filebase, and that's located under the "KZ Information" tab at the top of this page.

Feel free to browse the Filebase, there is tons of good info there.
KD9JUR

New Scooter 10 Jan 2007 19:11 #104845

• JimatMilkyWay
  • User
steell wrote:

It reads like an electrical question to me, so I guess you posted in the right place.

I don't know why you are posting to CraigsList about the coil mod, all the info you need is located in the Filebase, and that's located under the "KZ Information" tab at the top of this page.

Feel free to browse the Filebase, there is tons of good info there.

Thanks, I think:
I went there, like lickity split and found a article on Mikuni quad carb set and tune. I will continue to browse the database. I still wonder if there is a web site that can tell what is the exact "model" and possibly the history of ownership etc, of my bike, based on motor/chassis numbers. I don't know why I am interested; it just sounds like a kewl thing to know.

New Scooter 11 Jan 2007 03:09 #104891

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
  • Thank you received: 305
JMW:

Your questions are:

(1) exact model? Yes, depending upon what type of bike you have, go to www.zedder.com and explore... frame/motor series w/model numbers are there. FYI, frame/motor numbers have never matched in Z series bikes...don't know about the other series Kawasakis. Frame and motor numbers are generally within 300 or so for the Z1 series bikes...in later series Z bikes, there is little congruence between VIN's. BTW, your frame VIN says your bike is a Lincoln, Nebraska assembled KZ1000A2

(2) ownership history? Absolutely not. Because of how bikes are registered in North America (by state or province) you'd might have to check with each state and some states don't keep records of ownership for 25/30 yr old scooters :)

Post edited by: Mcdroid, at: 2007/01/11 06:14
Michael
Alvin, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

New Scooter 11 Jan 2007 06:38 #104901

• kzwolfsr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
Welcome to Kzr Jimat! We all ask one favor of you and that is to have a signature to show what kind of bike you have and possibly if you want, your location. That would both help you and us to determine your problem more accurately.
1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

New Scooter 11 Jan 2007 06:52 #104903

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
kzwolfsr -Try re-reading the fellow's post. He doesn't know what type bike he has. Based on his somewhat disjointed style, he may not know where he is located! bwhahaha

Jim... it is normal for the engine # and frame # on a Kaw to be different. The only site I know of that lists both for many Kaw models is the one McDroid mentioned. Last, I suggest that you ask a single question per post as multiple questions tend to get spotty answers... perhaps folks will pick up on one issue but they will sure ignore others.

As far as your plug fouling, the coil repowering article is on our web site. Have a look. It will likely help. You didn't mention the state of tune of your bike nor did you mention which spark plugs you are using. First, clean or replace your air filter. Second, install the correct heat range spark plug and last, do a tune up; that is, set the points, replace the ignition wires/caps and set the timing and also check valve clearances. If you read the coil repowering article, first thing you would do there is check voltage at the coils. Fouled plugs indicate incomplete combustion which can be caused by ANY of the things I just mentioned.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

New Scooter 11 Jan 2007 18:33 #105066

• JimatMilkyWay
  • User
steell wrote:

....I don't know why you are posting to CraigsList ....

I'm not sure why I posted to craigslist either. The more of it I read, the more I think it should be renamed the jerry springer forum.

New Scooter 11 Jan 2007 18:42 #105069

• wireman
  • Visitor
welcome to z-jungle!pictures ,we need pictures!;)

New Scooter 11 Jan 2007 18:42 #105070

• JimatMilkyWay
  • User
steell wrote:

....I don't know why you are posting to CraigsList ....

I'm not sure why I posted to craigslist either. The more of it I read, the more I think it should be renamed the jerry springer forum.

New Scooter 11 Jan 2007 18:50 #105073

• JimatMilkyWay
  • User
Mcdroid wrote:

JMW:

Your questions are:

(1) exact model? Yes, depending upon what type of bike you have, go to www.zedder.com and explore... frame/motor series w/model numbers are there. FYI, frame/motor numbers have never matched in Z series bikes...don't know about the other series Kawasakis. Frame and motor numbers are generally within 300 or so for the Z1 series bikes...in later series Z bikes, there is little congruence between VIN's. BTW, your frame VIN says your bike is a Lincoln, Nebraska assembled KZ1000A2....

Thanks for the response.
As per the site for which you were kind enough to supply a link, the engine seems to be from a C1A Police. I don't guess that matters a hill of beans, it is for some reason, just interesting.

New Scooter 11 Jan 2007 19:03 #105078

• JimatMilkyWay
  • User
kzwolfsr wrote:

Welcome to Kzr Jimat! We all ask one favor of you and that is to have a signature to show what kind of bike you have ....

Roger that.
Will figure out how to fix my signature/profile(?) to show what and where; just too busy reading at this point. I have the 'new' KZ1Kx4, plus I have a '77 KZ750B twin with 13.6K miles on it, that has not been cranked in 15Yrs, and has basically been mothballed (always inside) for a lot longer than that.

• Page: