Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

repairing carb 03 Dec 2006 14:07 #97075

• arobsum
  • arobsum's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
i have an old carb that has one of the float tangs broken off..its the thing that you put the pin thru that the float pivots on. it broke off smooth with the body. can it be fixed? jb weld?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

repairing carb 03 Dec 2006 15:08 #97094

• kzwolfsr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
Non repairable. Only replacable! If you JB weld it it could possibly throw of the floating abilities of the float and its float height when functioning.
1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

repairing carb 04 Dec 2006 17:20 #97453

• RomSpaceKnight
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I would say replace. But as it is not load bearing some sort of epoxy or metal putty may work. What have you got to lose?

repairing carb 04 Dec 2006 17:39 #97460

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
You CAN J.B. weld it.
I did the same thing on an old Ski-Doo carb,so I thought I would try J.B. welding it.
Well,I ran that sled for about 4 years without one problem.And I didn't baby the sled either...I pounded on that thing!
As a matter of fact,the year before I stripped the entire sled down,to part it out,I ended up rolling it down the side of a seriously steep mountain,about 40 times.
After some tweeking and pulling the starter-rope,it fired up,and I rode it off the mountain.I had no hood left,but the sled made it home.And as far as I know,that carb is STILL together.I could go up into storage and have a look,but I KNOW that I got 4 years out of it without a hitch.
I did this originally baout 10 years ago,and I would be curious to see if it IS still hanging on there.No fuel in it,but the next time I'm up in My storage area,I will...I'll grab that 40mm carb,and pull it apart...just to see.B)
1977 KZ1000 A-1

repairing carb 04 Dec 2006 20:03 #97499

• arobsum
  • arobsum's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
replacing would be the wise thing...if i had the extra cash around!! tis the season after all! i might try the j.b. weld..if it worked for you guys it could work for me..thanks for the help!!

• Page: