Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

NEW BIKE NEW Problem 22 Nov 2005 17:45 #9703

• KZDC
  • KZDC's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Just got a KZ 650 1978 B model free. Bike had not been run since 1991. Replaced plugs filled the oil, charged the battery, replaced a fuse and was ready to go until... put gas in the tank and hoses (4 total running from each of the carbs started spewing gas. I do not have a mannual so I was wondering if anybody could clue me in. Seems these four houses should attach somewhere, but I can not figure it out.

Many thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

NEW BIKE NEW Problem 22 Nov 2005 18:02 #9709

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 236
All 4 carbs are gummed up and need cleaning. Probably still has gas from 1991 in it=no good.
KZDC wrote:

Just got a KZ 650 1978 B model free. Bike had not been run since 1991. Replaced plugs filled the oil, charged the battery, replaced a fuse and was ready to go until... put gas in the tank and hoses (4 total running from each of the carbs started spewing gas. I do not have a mannual so I was wondering if anybody could clue me in. Seems these four houses should attach somewhere, but I can not figure it out.

Many thanks!

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

NEW BIKE NEW Problem 22 Nov 2005 18:06 #9711

• KZDC
  • KZDC's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you for the reply. The tank was clean and empty. Do the 4 hoses attach to anything or do they act as some sort of vent and just run from the carbs.

NEW BIKE NEW Problem 22 Nov 2005 18:34 #9721

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 236
I assume you are talking about the 4 hoses that come off the very bottom of the carburetors. These are just overflow hoses. When the gas level in each carb rises too high due to the float not working, gas will flow out of these hoses. The hoses just lead to the ground and do not hook to anything except the carbs.
KZDC wrote:

Thank you for the reply. The tank was clean and empty. Do the 4 hoses attach to anything or do they act as some sort of vent and just run from the carbs.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

NEW BIKE NEW Problem 22 Nov 2005 18:35 #9723

• bluegill
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Ron's right. Even if the tank was clean, the carbs were not unless the previous owner took steps to put it in storage. Whatever gas was left in there is now varnish.

Sounds like your carb floats are stuck to me but I'll leave the question to some of the carb guys on here. I do know there are overflow hoses coming from each carb that should go down near the swingarm to allow overflow fuel to drain to the ground without hitting the hot engine.

First step is to find a manual or Clymers book. Check Ebay.

You might search the archives for an answer too. Stick with it. This is a good site with a lot of helpful members.

NEW BIKE NEW Problem 23 Nov 2005 05:45 #9790

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
I doubt the bike will run unless you clean the carburetors. It is unusual for someone to store a bike properly so that the carburetors are not gummed. First thing you might want to check is to remove the float bowls. Gas flows into the carburetors via the float needle/seat assembly. A needle loosely fits under your float toward the front of the bike. It rides up and down in the seat. It is common for gum to hold the float in place where it can't ride up and down freely. The floats should be removed by pushing out the small steel pins that retain them. Keep track of which float goes with which carburetor. Then the needles SHOULD drop right out. If they don't remove them with some pliers. Note there is a small spring loaded pin on the end that contacts the float tang. This must move freely else the needle needs replaced. Clean the needles or replace them and use a q-tip with brasson to clean the seats. I recommend you just remove the seats to do this and clean underneath them in the carb body as well. Check for debris in that area and use an inline gas filter when you do try and start the bike as the tank WILL have sediment.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

NEW BIKE NEW Problem 27 Nov 2005 17:29 #10522

• Mellvis
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
The 78 650 should have a vacuum operated fuel valve. did you make sure it isn't in the PRIME position?

• Page: