Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

How can I clean up my carburettor? 30 Nov 2006 06:02 #96197

• Toge
  • Toge's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
How can I clean up my carburettor? Do I really need to take them off, or I can just spray some carburettor cleaner into the carburettor while the engine is running. I have no idea how to take them off.....><

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

How can I clean up my carburettor? 30 Nov 2006 06:56 #96213

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
TOGE,

To answer your question, you can spray cleaner in your carbs. You know it may not fix whatever problem you are having? If the carbs need a deep cleaning it will not fix it. Spray cleaners basically make the throat area nice and shiny, it won't clean out the small passages in the body, which may be where the real problems are. But I may be jumping ahead of myself.

Also, your service manual will show you how to remove the carbs, do you own one? It will show all the carb parts too, which may be where you are headed if your can of spray doesn't work.

Can you change your Profile under Forum Settings? Add your location and bike year, model, size to your Signature. Then we can help a little bit better and maybe someone lives near you if that would help too.
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

How can I clean up my carburettor? 30 Nov 2006 07:21 #96223

• pyxen
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
if your bike's actually running and not completely fubar'd due to the carbs, you could just add some carb cleaner to the gas, and let it clean while you drive..if you think that's enough to do it.

Otherwise, you need to remove your tank (remember to turn the petcock to off if you don't have a vacuum one), and the vacuum hose(s). Then you need to take the boots off the back end of the carbs and push 'em into the airbox if you want more room. Undo the clamps holding the carbs to the engine (around the boots at the front end). Unclip the throttle cable if you can get to it, otherwise you can do that at the end.

Use some elbow grease to pry them out of the engine. Careful - don't want to crush a finger as they come popping out. Use constant pressure, instead of large force. I find rocking them up and down tends to help..

Once they're off, enjoy the wonders of carb cleaning! Don't disassemble the unit though - leave the bodies attached to the brackets unless you absolutely have to take it apart. Its so much easier to deal with as a single unit.

WG - how'd I do? :)
84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

. 30 Nov 2006 07:41 #96232

• JMKZHI
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 48
del
Attachments:

Last edit: by JMKZHI.

How can I clean up my carburettor? 01 Dec 2006 13:16 #96530

• kzwolfsr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
Ive used gumout which cleans the carburetor, intake valves, whatever the gas comes in contact with. Its a simple pour in the tank remedy
1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

• Page: