Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

cold starting 21 Nov 2005 18:56 #9474

• willkz1000
  • willkz1000's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Have a 1980 kz 1000E. Bike only likes to start on starting fluid then cold.Once running is fine idles etc,and will start up again,but wait 5hours and the bike remembers its problem.Rebuilt petcock.I just got the bike, its sat unused for 4 years. Any thoughts appricated,thanks Will

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

cold starting 21 Nov 2005 19:14 #9479

• rede4u
  • User
If everything checks out Carbs, fuel lines and so on I would hazard a guess that you have a weak spark. Have you checked the condition and the colour of the spark plugs?
Check the gap also.
What about the coils?

cold starting 21 Nov 2005 19:18 #9481

• rede4u
  • User
double post
cant figure out why?

Post edited by: rede4u, at: 2005/11/21 22:26

cold starting 21 Nov 2005 19:32 #9484

• willkz1000
  • willkz1000's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
I replaced the coils and wires, I'll check the plugs again thanks,Will

cold starting 22 Nov 2005 07:03 #9563

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Will, You can buy new ignition parts but you should first check the voltage at your coils. I have seen MANY cases where there is much less than 12VDC and the coils won't fire as well as they should (weak spark) even with new coils/wires, etc. The voltage can be checked by using a multimeter. Place on VDC scale. Put positive lead on lug on coil where power wire is attached (yellow/red wire) and the negative lead on the frame. If you get less than 12.5 VDC after switching on key without bike running, check out the coil powering mod in the Filebase in the non-model specific section.

If the carbs sat for a long time, there is a good possibility that the choke pickup tubes have dried gas which is blocking the tubes and so the choke system isn't working as well as it should. These are the press fit brass tubes with the small hole in the end that fits into the bowl. Use a fine wire to clean out the holes and try blowing some carb cleaner into the hole after. Use eye protection as the spray is hard to control.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: