Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

454 LTD carbs 21 Nov 2005 02:45 #9301

• jakeman
  • jakeman's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all, I am having trouble trying to figure out the fuel system on my son's 1986 454LTD. The Keihin CVK34 carbs have a bottom "T", top "T", and nipple on the front of each carb on top of the barrel. The tank petcock has two outlets and is marked RES, ON and PRI. I know the bottom T is the fuel inlet. Now, where do the remaining hoses go? The left carb has a hose running from the nipple on top up to something that looks like some kind of breather valve.

I have a manual but it doesn't clearly show the fuel system and it shows some kind of vented tank and emission system which this bike doesn't have.

Thanks guy, any help will be appreciated.

Jake

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

454 LTD carbs 21 Nov 2005 06:24 #9314

• ibsen22000
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
The hose from the upper T is most likely a vent hose that runs to the air box. And there should be a vacum hose running between the "nipple" on the left hand carb and the vacum system on the petcock. The "nipple" on the right hand carb should be sealed off by a rubber cap.
The reason the workshop manual shows some different hoses is beacause the California models had a evaporative emission control system.

Post edited by: ibsen22000, at: 2005/11/21 09:32

454 LTD carbs 21 Nov 2005 07:15 #9324

• jakeman
  • jakeman's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks Ibsen, I will try this when I put the carbs back on. Evidently someone has changed the hoses around before. The way it is set up now is the left nipple goes up to a valve that also receives a hose from the top of the valve cover and then continues on to the air box. The bottom T, of course, goes to the big fitting on the petcock. This leaves the right nipple and upper T and I couldn't figure which one went to the petcock or what you were supposed to do with the other one. Are you confused yet?

BTW, is there a trick to getting the carbs off the bike other than just hogging them off, which is what I did?

Thanks

• Page: