Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

carbs 11 Oct 2005 21:15 #929

• nads.com
  • nads.com's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
Got some carbs that measure 26mm, have 105 mains and 17.5 pilots in them. They have fuel screws in the bowls and one is 1.5 turns out, the others 2.5. What do i have here? And can i swap jets and use them on a 900? Does one measure the size of the inner or outer diameter of the engine side? I believe they measured a little larger than 26mm (inner diam.) Help! Also i have a78 kz1000 with no top end, can i install a 900cc deck, pistons and head? Without changes?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

carbs 11 Oct 2005 21:42 #940

• savedrider
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
  • Thank you received: 1
Do those carbs also have an accelerator pump? If so, they are jetted the same as mine (minus the pilot fuel settings) and are VM26SS. You measure the inner diameter on the engine side of the carbs.

Not too sure on your other question.
Get right or get left! <*{{{><

carbs 11 Oct 2005 22:57 #951

• nads.com
  • User
No pump on them. Im wondering if they were used on a 650kz since the jet sizes are so small? Arent 105mains too lean for a 900cc? Mine had 112 or 115s. Something isn't jiving here. sorry about putting this in the engine forum though, i overlooked the seperate carbs category.

Post edited by: nads.com, at: 2005/10/12 02:00

carbs 12 Oct 2005 05:29 #981

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
I moved this thread from engine forum to this forum (carburetors) as moderator.

Anyway, to answer your question, the internals on any VM are matched to its jets. Those carburetors sound like 77 KZ1000A carburetors with stock jetting. The new main jets and pilot jets you choose should be based on the original jetting. In this case, the #105 or #107.5 main jets (both came on 77 models) were NOT too lean... bike would pull redline. The year before, 1976, the jetting was much richer but the jet needle and needle jet and other smaller jets were different.

On those particular carburetors, if you run pods and aftermarket pipes, I would leave the pilot jets alone and try some #115 main jets. If you have any flat spots off idle, move the eclip on your jet needle down a slot.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

carbs 12 Oct 2005 12:53 #1069

• nads.com
  • User
George, the carbs came with a 78kz 1000. They are cleaned and have new bowl gaskets on them. one inside carb's fuel screw is out 1.5 and the others are 2.0. Whats the proper set up for this carb? Also, would these carbs run better than the 76 models, performance wise? Any help would be appreciated as the fuel screws are in the bowls and i'd rather change out the carbs for different ones if I cannot set them properly. I do plan to increase the jet size to maybe 112.

carbs 12 Oct 2005 16:00 #1138

• savedrider
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
Here's how I set up mine nads...

With the carbs off the bike turn the fuels screws in until the tips are flush with the hole as you look down into the carb throat. Make sure all 4 are flush. Then back each one out 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 turns. After they are set get yourself some liquid electrical tape and a small paintbrush. Paint a seal around the edge of each fuel screw and let dry. Even with new o-rings these screws tend to draw air and cause unsteady idle.

This is how I set mine up and it idles great, haven't had to touch them.

carbs 13 Oct 2005 06:34 #1298

• wiredgeorge
  • User
The amount the pilot fuel screws need to be turned out depend on the size of the pilot jets. The info savedrider gave is probably good if you have #17.5 pilots. The carbs you have are hard to compare to a 1976 but I suspect, just from a performance standpoint, the 1976 carbs had better performance stock; that is before rejetted. If you rejet the ones you have, they will work about the same.
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

carbs 13 Oct 2005 09:24 #1340

• fergyfer
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Where do you find the liquid electrical tape? I looked at my autozone and didn't see any such thing. Is there a particular brand???

carbs 13 Oct 2005 10:37 #1356

• nads.com
  • User
sounds gospel to me, ill set them up that way. Thanks guys.

carbs 13 Oct 2005 12:17 #1394

• wiredgeorge
  • User
Two different companies make the stuff and BOTH call it Liquid Electrical Tape. I have bought it in Harbour Freight Tools, Walmart and Autozone. It is in car section in Wallies... My wife knows where it is by heart bwhahaha If you do a Google search,
"Liquid Electrical Tape"
it will pop right up...
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

carbs 13 Oct 2005 13:09 #1415

• fergyfer
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks. I guess I should have asked someone when I was in autozone. I'll try again.

carbs 13 Oct 2005 19:37 #1534

• savedrider
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
Napa Auto Parts usually carries it too.

• Page: