Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Rough Idle fixed 27 Oct 2006 22:36 #87933

• kf6kmx
  • kf6kmx's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Decided to work on the KZ750 tonight... Hadnt had a chance to do much to it in the last few weeks... Poor thing has been feeling neglected, I've been riding the Boulevard and it hadnt had any attention in 10 days.

Anyway, was having idling issues (its idled rough with a 'chain slap' sound since I got it) and they got worse with it sitting to where it wouldnt idle at all...
So... I decided to cleanthe carbs... THey didnt really need it, but I cleaned and reoiled the 4 K&N's on it (just to make them look nice B) )and bought a can of Gumout carb cleaner. Found that carbs 1-3 were doing ok, I could shoot the cleaner in and keep it running with the throttle... Carb 4 on the other hand was another story. As soon as any cleaner hit it it would almost kill the bike.. I concentrated on carb 4 and cleaned it up as good as I could, then went over the other three again. Not only does it idle on its own again, its idling smooth as glass with NO rattling at all! Its never sounded so good since before I bought it (I knew the previous owner and had heard it run a few times). Cant wait until tomorrow when I get a chance to put the K&N's back on and give it a run on the road and see how it does! Its always had a 'touchy' spot on the throttle as you take off that kept it from being anywhere near as smooth as it should be.. Always managed to make anyone who rode it look like they had never ridden before as they accelerated from a stop sign :blink:, especially if they didnt know that flat spot was there! The flat spot was right above the rpm when you just get the clutch all the way out going into 2nd gear,if you werent ready for it the engine would stumble like you ahd either missed a gear or dumped the clutch! From the sound of it on the stand in the garage,it sure sounds like that flat spot is gone!
I'm thinking that carb 4 was having problems coming off idle, and the stumble was the point where suddenly cyl 4 would come online.

Post edited by: kf6kmx, at: 2006/10/28 01:39

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rough Idle fixed 28 Oct 2006 04:54 #87965

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7
Awesome! I know that "like a new bike" feeling... it's great... B)
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: