• Page:

TOPIC:

Two extra hoses...? 12 Oct 2006 06:28 #83642

• pyxen
  • pyxen's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
Hey,

I just put the carb assy back on my bike, and used the 2 larger OD hoses for the vacuum and gas between tank and carbs. That was no problem..

There are 2 other hoses that came in the box 'o goodies my carbs were in (the mechanic doing the safety disassembled them and gave 'em to me like that). Are these 2 hoses (much smaller - 1/4" OD?) for the bottom of the carbs to drain the bowls? There's only one end on each with any indication that it spent any time on a fitting..the tube is stretched a bit.

After reading another thread about having tubes from the bottom of the carbs leading just aft of the crankcase for drainage, I kinda think thats what they are... There certainly isn't anywhere else to put them - that I can find anyways.

Thanks.
84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Two extra hoses...? 12 Oct 2006 07:18 #83657

• Wirewulf
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Okay, I'll jump in. If I'm not mistaken, there should be a tube going from the number 1 carb vacuum nipple and the number 4 carb vacuum nipple and joining each other at a Tee fitting that has a hose going to the vacuum switch valve (just under the coils). There should also be tubes that go from the bottoms of the carb bowls into the airbox.
That's how they go on my 750 anyway, I would think they are similar.

Two extra hoses...? 12 Oct 2006 08:18 #83663

• gee
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi,

On my 650, I have 4 pipes: 1 for the fuel (fuel tap - middle of the carbs), 1 vacuum from cylinder 2, I don't remember exactly, but maybe the front part of that carb, to the fuel tap.

Then there are two breather hoses that are attached to carb 2 and 4(?) These are on the side of the carbs, and just end in the air. Only one end is attached, there are two of them, so it sounds just like yours.

G

Two extra hoses...? 12 Oct 2006 10:10 #83696

• pyxen
  • User
yeah - I don't have the vacuum setup under the coils - theres nothin' but air.

When I picked them up, there was one vacuum fitting (at the front of the carbs?) without a cover, but the other 3 had bullets on 'em, covering them up.

The only one that wasn't covered was on carb 3 (3rd from the left). I'll check and see if theres anywhere to fit the 2 remaining tubes as breathers. That makes sense. I'll check my manual too, but it hasn't been all that detailed since my bike is part of the 'supplement' that came with it :P

No T fitting anywhere..for the vacuum tubes anyways.

I did look at the assembly diagram, and it shows 2 more fittings between carbs 1/2 and 3/4, so I'll take a look at those. I think thats likely where those extra ones would go.

Post edited by: pyxen, at: 2006/10/12 13:12
84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

Two extra hoses...? 12 Oct 2006 10:44 #83702

• Wirewulf
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Sorry Pyxen, I just noticed you were in Canada. There is a difference in setup on the vacuum lines between US and Canada believe it or not. Hmm. Learn sumpin new everyday. However, my shop manual states that all the vacuum nipples are plugged off except the petcock vacuum line on carb #2.

Hope that's some help.
Attachments:

Two extra hoses...? 12 Oct 2006 11:24 #83709

• pyxen
  • User
I just checked my Clymer, and it shows the vacuum hose on #3 instead of #2..guess we'll see when I start 'er up.

Edit: Hey - found the 2 extra Ts for the vent hoses..looks beautiful.

Plus I'm trying something different on the boots - some extra thick bicycle innertube across the gap. It seals nicely, but I'm going to be using some hose clamps anyways.

Post edited by: pyxen, at: 2006/10/12 22:01
84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4
Attachments:

Two extra hoses...? 05 May 2007 16:21 #137382

• ohiogrown
  • User
I like the idea with the bike tube. I bought some pods b/c the original boots were severely worn when I got them, and they had ripped up the airbox where they connected so I knew I wouldn't get a good seal just by gettting new boots. Anyways, the question I have is, how did you secure the tubing to the airbox to get a good seal? I'd rather keep the stock airbox and get it running really well before I start throwing pods on and getting into rejetting and all that.

Two extra hoses...? 05 May 2007 17:28 #137399

• ohiogrown
  • User
ok, i found a better description of the tube fix, you still use the boots...I guess i'll be finding a new airbox, or trying to patch it somehow

Two extra hoses...? 05 May 2007 18:29 #137427

• ohiogrown
  • User
ok, i found a better description of the tube fix, you still use the boots...I guess i'll be finding a new airbox, or trying to patch it somehow

Two extra hoses...? 05 May 2007 18:29 #137428

• ohiogrown
  • User

• Page: