Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

dumb carb question 04 Oct 2006 08:16 #81749

• EsaPro
  • EsaPro's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Are the Mikuni BS38's that are used on my 750 twin the same Mikuni BS38's that were used on the yama xs650? I would think the jetting might be different, but the bodies, etc would be the same?
Jim
79 KZ750 Twin (Fun!)
07 Yamaha 1300 (Plush!)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

dumb carb question 04 Oct 2006 11:53 #81784

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
They are ALMOST the same (jetting not withstanding). I can't recall for sure, but I am thinking that the choke on the XS650 type carbs bangs the petcock on a KZ750. The spacing is ALMOST the same and I think the XS650 carbs could be used if there was not interference from the petcock to the Yammie choke... If you stick a set of Yammie carbs on, and you leave the airbox on and have stock pipes, pretty much go with standard Yammie jetting I guess; the bikes are so similar in characteristic that their jetting choice would probably work well with a KZ750.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

dumb carb question 04 Oct 2006 13:04 #81800

• EsaPro
  • User
Thanks for the feedback, wg. What I was thinking (since there seems to be a couple sets on ebay right now) is perhaps using the yammie carb bodies, and perhaps the kz's brackets, linkage, etc. And also just to have some spare parts (float bowls, etc). The jets in mine are stuck in tight... :(
Jim
79 KZ750 Twin (Fun!)
07 Yamaha 1300 (Plush!)

dumb carb question 05 Oct 2006 06:02 #81964

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Unfortunately, if memory serves, the bodies won't just swap. I don't think you would have to change the bodies/brackets anyway. There are holes in the two different carb body sets for putting the choke stuff on that are different. I rebuilt a set of XS650 carbs some time in the past for a customer with a KZ750 and he had the choke lever hitting the petcock on his bike so he sent them back... I think they are still sitting on a shelf and can take a look but I think they would work great as-is except for the choke/petcock interference. Not sure if changing the petcock would be the answer.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

dumb carb question 05 Oct 2006 07:04 #81967

• EsaPro
  • User
Hmmm. Good info, thanks. Did not think the mounting hold for the brackets & choke would be off. Figured Mikuni cast the bodies the same, since the model number is the same. Looks like the price is rising on ebay anyhow. Started at $10, and is now $20.50.

Might end up not being a bargain after all! ;)
Jim
79 KZ750 Twin (Fun!)
07 Yamaha 1300 (Plush!)

• Page: