• Page:

TOPIC:

29MM Carbs was900 now1015 Jet ? 09 Nov 2005 22:24 #7467

• STOCKS3
  • STOCKS3's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi KZ fans,

Some posted a good article on starting points for (29mm) or KZ1000 carb jetting, however I cant find it now.
My situation is my bike was a 1976 ½ z900:

Now a: 1015 (piston kit), V&H sidewinder, velocity stack air filters, with 29mm smooth boars.

Where should I start on the jetting, or if anyone knows the link to the data sheet that was posted, please help. (I think Jeff S. may have posted it)

any words?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29MM Carbs was900 now1015 Jet ? 10 Nov 2005 06:07 #7495

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Sudco posted "recommended" smoothbore jetting and I think their information is reposted on Jeff's web site:
www.z1enterprises.com

I have not found this info particularly helpful in that I have not been able to make this jetting work well on a stock bike. The jetting doesn't take into account specific modifications; air box, pipes, internal mods but assumes the owner made some modifications, I guess.

If I were rejetting that bike of yours, I would get one set of #17.5 pilot jets and one set of #20 pilot jets. You didn't mention the slide cut outs but if they are 2.0 cut outs, then you will have to go with slightly larger pilots than if you have 1.5 slide cut outs. I think Sudco overstated most of their pilot jetting in that they recommend #22.5 pilots which are generally too rich for most street bikes.

As far as main jets, I don't recall what is recommended but with your set up, you will probably have to experiment a bit. More than likely #122.5 would be a good starting point. See how the bike pulls. I honestly can't do a great job rejetting performance modified bikes since my carburetor test bikes are essentially stock... Probably you will want to pick up a set of #122.5 and #125 mains and try both. Overjetting on the top doesn't increase performance!

As far as the jet needle clipping, the smoothy jet needle isn't particularly rich through the mid-range. It is the same jet needle as used on the 76 KZ900 VM26 carb and some VM24s. It is an "all around" jet needle so you will likely want to start by reclipping to 4th slot else you will be a bit lean in the mid-range. The needle jet isn't all that big for a performance carb... might be an 0-6? I don't recall and the specs on Jeff's site will tell you. You might want to increase the size of the needle jet a tad if you find flat spots in the mid-range that reclipping won't fix.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

29MM Carbs was900 now1015 Jet ? 10 Nov 2005 20:37 #7650

• STOCKS3
  • STOCKS3's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
george your the best. I'll let you know the out come.

time to find Jeff, hope he ships to Hawaii???

29MM Carbs was900 now1015 Jet ? 11 Nov 2005 06:23 #7690

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
I know he ships to Europe as we have some of the same customers... you will have to ask him about Hawaii.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: