Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Gas dripping from exhaust 31 Aug 2006 21:00 #73777

• goodeatingill
  • goodeatingill's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello all, I am new to the forum, and as usual have some questions, so thanks in advance.

I layed my bike down on a corner when I hit gravel about 3 weeks ago, and due to shoulder injury havnt touched my bike till today. I started the bike, and it was choked, but would not run well at all, then I un-choked it and it ran great, but I noticed that something was dripping from the exaust out of a hole where the 2 left pipes go into the muffler. I shut it down instantly. I bought the bike a month ago, so I dont know it well yet.

I am guessing it is a carb problem, if so, where are the places to buy carb rebuild kits.

Thanks a bunch,
Paul Gill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Gas dripping from exhaust 31 Aug 2006 22:06 #73786

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
Welcome to KZR,Paul.
So is it gas that's dripping out of the pipe?...I don't quite understand.
Did You smell whatever is dripping?

And as far as the bike not running well with the choke ON...that's normal,especially if it clears up when You shut the choke OFF.
Basically,if the bike runs like crap with the choke on,it's telling You that it doesn't NEED to be ON.
Turning the choke ON,will starve(choke) the system of air,and once the engine is running,You can slowly back the choke off until it has warmed up,and You should be good to go with NO choke at all.
A lot of these old KZ's run differently than the other,as far as warm-up goes...some need the choke longer than others,and some don't even need the choke at all.
1977 KZ1000 A-1

Gas dripping from exhaust 01 Sep 2006 00:13 #73795

• donthekawguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
It might be condensation that smells like gas. It would foul a plug if it was sending that much gas through. And all the extra would run down into your oil pan.
Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

Gas dripping from exhaust 01 Sep 2006 06:08 #73831

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
You laid the bike over. When the bike was shut off, could gas have sat in the combustion chamber? When you started the bike initially, one of more of the combustion chambers were flooded and the gas just flowed out the pipes until the chambers cleared and it started firing on all cylinders and running normally? My advice would be to change the oil and not wait for weeks to get on the next time hehe Seriously, your oil is gas fouled. It cuts the lubrication quality and can damage your engine. Change the oil. It is possible you damaged something when you dropped it and that one of the cylinders isn't firing but I imagine they are. If you need to test, warm the bike and spray the head pipes with a water bottle once you get the oil changed. You will see water roll off pipes where there is no combustion in that cylinder.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Gas dripping from exhaust 01 Sep 2006 09:43 #73873

• goodeatingill
  • User
thanks for all the help. The gas is dripping from a small hole that looks to be factory where the 2 pipes from the motor go into the muffler. It is gas, I smelled and tasted it, and it only dripps when the bike was running, and it lost about a quarter of a gallon out of the tank in 5 minutes when I was running it. I shut it off and did drail the oil, and that it where it sits now. I havnt yet done any mechanical work to the bike, so if there is anything that this could be, it wouldnt be bad to do.
Paul

Gas dripping from exhaust 01 Sep 2006 10:06 #73875

• ltdrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
That sure sounds like a lot of gas to be going thru your engine without getting burned.
Any chance that it is leaking from your carb overflow tubes, and finding its way to your pipe, and dripping off the muffler?
'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

Gas dripping from exhaust 01 Sep 2006 17:28 #73943

• goodeatingill
  • User
I will check that, but the gas was all black a sootie, which is why I thought it was coming through the exhaust. We'll see I guess
Paul

Gas dripping from exhaust 01 Sep 2006 17:54 #73950

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
In my previous post, I said I thought the problem would clear. I also mentioned that if it doesn't to warm the bike and spray the pipes to check to see if you have lack of combustion in one of the cylinders. THAT is why gas is pouring out as your are running. We need to confirm that in order to go forward with trouble shooting. It IS possible that a float is STUCK OPEN. FIRST check to see if all four cylinders are firing by using the spray bottle test I suggested.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Gas dripping from exhaust 02 Sep 2006 22:25 #74198

• goodeatingill
  • User
It is firing on all cylenders, and I rode the bike home 30 miles after the laydown, so I dont think it is gas build up. may be wrong though
Paul

Post edited by: goodeatingill, at: 2006/09/03 01:25

• Page: