Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

carb check valve 08 Nov 2005 17:58 #7240

• zippoman
  • zippoman's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
my vm24 pumpers that I got off ebay seem to be missing the check valve on 2 of the bowls. I guess the question is should they be there on all 4 bowls? If so would jeff at z1 carry just this, the pump kit that I got had 1 in it. these carbs looked like they had never been opened but did have a ton of varnish. thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

carb check valve 09 Nov 2005 06:15 #7301

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
The reason the check valves are missing is that they are retained by funky little circlip type pieces of wire that are not seating properly in the little slots. MANY get lost. As I rebuild accelerator pump carburetors, I note that about 1/3 of the check valves are missing. You must buy full pump rebuild kits to get the check valves as they are not available separately.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

carb check valve 09 Nov 2005 06:53 #7313

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
WG-

I'm just curious. Is the external check valve is common to carbs with accel pump?

The only one I have seen is on a recent CB650 non-runner I glommed onto last week. Waiting for spark plug wrench to arrive from Japan. May have to make on this weekend as Honda said, 'three weeks'!

fluids.flambeau.com/components/components.html

-Duck

carb check valve 09 Nov 2005 07:14 #7321

• wiredgeorge
  • User
The check valve connects to the accelerator pump fuel pipes that run along the float bowls. The check valve consists of a ball like a BB, a small brass cylinder and the clip that holds it. The BB thing fits below, the the brass cylinder on top (brass thing is just a solid piece). The point is to keep gas from backflowing. The valve sits on the edge of the float bowl and connects to the pump fuel pipes via an internal passageway cast into the bowls. The valve is directly below the pump spigots that stick up into the venturi that spray the gas.

Post edited by: wiredgeorge, at: 2005/11/09 10:15
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

carb check valve 09 Nov 2005 15:03 #7387

• dgfischer
  • Visitor
The check valves need to have the dang little clip to keep it in also. If the clips are missing, the check valve can raise enough to close off the squirter thing in the carb.
Yes, and you need to buy 4 accelerator pump kits to get 4 of the dang clips also.
Daniel

carb check valve 09 Nov 2005 15:58 #7394

• zippoman
  • zippoman's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I was afraid of that. What kind of issues does it cause with out them? oh well, thanks

found one complete set, only need one more!

Post edited by: zippoman, at: 2005/11/09 20:23

carb check valve 10 Nov 2005 02:04 #7479

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
Wonder why there is a check valve in my fuel line between petcock and 'T' fitting on the 'new' CB650. At first I thought it was a filter but no. It's a small valve. Perhaps PO grabbed at auto-parts thinking it was a filter? Haven't looked at carbs yet.

-Duck

carb check valve 10 Nov 2005 05:59 #7494

• wiredgeorge
  • User
Duck...

The check valve you are describing is certainly different than what is being discussed for the pumper carbs. I truly haven't a clue and would advise finding out before discarding the inline check valve. I can't think of any reason but maybe Honda stuck it in there on purpose. There is probably a Honda group where you can get this type info. I actually own a "project" CB900 that I haven't touched. I bought the thing in hopes of learning a bit more about Hondas; perhaps to spread my business interests out in that direction but I just haven't had time.
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: