Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

How do you \"clean a carb\"? 14 Aug 2006 21:04 #69524

• Jerka
  • Jerka's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Sorry for the total Noob question, but I am buying a 76 KZ400 this weekend. It has 31,000 miles on it and has been sitting in storage for the past 2 years. Everything looks good and it runs, but the guy says it runs a little rough and that the carbs could probably use a cleaning.

I am new to motorcycles, but I am fairly mechanical...what does "cleaning the carbs" consist of?

Can I do it or should I take it somewhere?

How much would it cost?

How long would it be out of commission?

What do I need (cleaners, fluids, etc.)?

Any good tutorials?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

How do you \"clean a carb\"? 15 Aug 2006 07:35 #69586

• medic24
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Sitting in storage for 2 years...... guaranteed carbs need cleaned. Do a search of the forum and you will find PLENTY of info, and lots of differing opinions. Welcome to the world of Kawasaki!

How do you \"clean a carb\"? 15 Aug 2006 08:19 #69604

• buz0340
  • User
This is something that if you are at all mechanically inclinded should be pretty easy so I would not bring it in. They will rip you off in my perspective. I would advise buying a manual for your motorcycle if you plan on doing any maitnance yourself.

Back to your questions:

Cost can vary a lot. Depending on how far you want to go. You can replace all of the parts right away by purchasing a carb rebuild kit which includes jets, needles and some other stuff. They are prob under $20 per carb. www.z1enterprises.com/ Or you can just do a good clean and you will get it running better.

Time will also be dependent on how much you want to do and how good you are. Your first time will prob take an afternoon to make sure you dont miss anything.

If you go the cleaning method, carb cleaner is great. But be sure not to be spraying rubber parts becuase it will dry them out and ruin them. I have used diesel fuel as a cleaner which works pretty good, but nothing special. It wont harm your rubber parts.

And like medic24 said, you can find quite a few tutorials on this site.

How do you \"clean a carb\"? 15 Aug 2006 08:58 #69614

• Jerka
  • User
Thanks...I know that carbs vary a lot from year to year and bike to bike. Do you know what carbs I have so I can do a more specific search for cleaning/rebuilding instructions?

How do you \"clean a carb\"? 15 Aug 2006 10:12 #69633

• buz0340
  • User
I do not know real specifcs about the kz400 but there are many people on this site than can help you out. if you have a digital camera, that would even be better to post pictures. everyone likes pictures.

How do you 16 Aug 2006 00:48 #69864

• kzrider
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 91
Jerka wrote:

Thanks...I know that carbs vary a lot from year to year and bike to bike. Do you know what carbs I have so I can do a more specific search for cleaning/rebuilding instructions?

Your KZ400 originally had Keihin CVB36 carburetors. Could have been replaced over the years though, so post a pic and I'm sure someone here will be able to identify it.

I'd highly recommend paying Odd Ivar's website kz400.com a visit. It is by far the best KZ400 resource around.
1976 Z750 B1
1980 Z1000 MkII A4

How do you 16 Aug 2006 12:29 #69995

• Jackman
  • User
You can run a can of carb and combustion cleaner through it. It will clean out the intake runners, carbs, and combustion chambers all at once. We warm up engine then i get the driver to rev it at around 8000 while i spray it into the carbs. Unbelieveable the crap that comes out. Don't breath the stuff or the crap LOL:sick:

How do you 16 Aug 2006 12:53 #70008

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
Jackman wrote:

You can run a can of carb and combustion cleaner through it. It will clean out the intake runners, carbs, and combustion chambers all at once. We warm up engine then i get the driver to rev it at around 8000 while i spray it into the carbs. Unbelieveable the crap that comes out. Don't breath the stuff or the crap LOL:sick:

Sorry, I fail to see how this method will do anything for the carbs. That crap you see is the carbon in the cylinders getting blown out. There are proper ways to clean carbs, one member here makes a living at it, and I bet he doesn't do it this way.
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

How do you 16 Aug 2006 12:56 #70012

• Jerka
  • User
OKC_Kent wrote:

Jackman wrote:

Sorry, I fail to see how this method will do anything for the carbs. That crap you see is the carbon in the cylinders getting blown out. There are proper ways to clean carbs, one member here makes a living at it, and I bet he doesn't do it this way.

Would this be a good start and an alternative to rebuilding them? If I could get through the rest of the season, I would rebuild and thoroughly clean them this winter. Is "carb and combustion cleaner" different than "carb cleaner"?

How do you 16 Aug 2006 12:57 #70013

• Jerka
  • User
Oh, and I am assuming that you remove the air filter and spray the stuff into each carb and it gets sucked in. Right?

How do you 16 Aug 2006 13:08 #70016

• Jackman
  • User
Ya i know what the crap is. And i know it's not the best method but its a start because if the carbs are dirty so are the chambers and there's no sense cleaning only the carbs.

Ya Jerka all the instruction are on the can just make sure its warmed up

But OKC_KENT is right it's not the best way without takin them all apart

Post edited by: Jackman, at: 2006/08/16 16:10

Post edited by: Jackman, at: 2006/08/16 16:14

How do you 16 Aug 2006 13:37 #70022

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
Jerka, Since you don't have the bike yet, wait and see how it really runs. If the bike is otherwise safe to ride and the engine runs the bike around ok, you can cheap out and run Seafoam in the gas. Seafoam may clean the carbs a bit and keep it running until winter sets in and you are able to tear the carbs down.
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

• Page: