Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Newbie idle problem question 05 Nov 2005 08:37 #6652

• Wilde
  • Wilde's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all, just bought a 1981 kz750e which worked perfectly for two weeks, newly renovated carburators working fine. But....the idle was a little low so I turned the idle screw a little up getting correct idle but when I rev the engine and let go of the gas handle the idle gets stuck on around 4000 rpm. So I adjust down on the idle screw, revs a little and the engine stops. To low idle. Anybody got any ideas? thankful for any help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Newbie idle problem question 05 Nov 2005 09:59 #6657

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
On your carburetors the cable fits into a cup type deal above throttle and the cable end is fitted into a slot. There is about 1.5 inches of exposed cable if memory serves. Now, up at your right hand switch gear where the cable comes out of the switch gear is a locknut and barrel adjuster. Loosen the locknut and turn the barrel adjuster toward you while looking at the 1.5 inches of exposed cable. There should be a bit of slack in the cable which I expect is not there now.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Newbie idle problem question 06 Nov 2005 01:41 #6779

• Wilde
  • User
Thanks for the help, I will check it and see if I can get it right.

Hm, I have tested, slack is OK now but still something seems to hang. I can adjust the idle but when I rev it up it sometimes get stuck at a high rpm....it is very strange, I am pretty sure that it is not the gaswire. Thankful for any more hints

Post edited by: Wilde, at: 2005/11/06 13:08

Newbie idle problem question 10 Nov 2005 08:57 #7532

• Idaho_Spud
  • User
A couple of easy checks:

You might try a little teflon-based lubricant in the cables and the exposed moving parts of the carbs. Also check for binding on your cables when the handlebars are hard right or left.

Newbie idle problem question 11 Nov 2005 00:53 #7665

• Wilde
  • User
Thanks for the tip, I kind of "solved" it by realising I had the choke lever in the wrong way (idiot mistake, I know). But thanks anyway

• Page: