Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ 750 L3 rejetting? 17 Jul 2006 11:30 #62650

• avmedco
  • avmedco's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
After 23 years of ownership it's time for a carb rebuild.

Bike was set up after break in at dealership when new with K+N air filter stock air box and Kerker 4 into 1 header. Stock BS34 Mikuni's. Current mileage 25K

Recent some bad gas threw a clot into the pilot jet thus the rebuild in progress. Before this bike ran well and strong. Only indication of jetting issue is a significantly blued exhaust. I proactively Kreem coated the tank about 20 years ago....it's possible from the dedebris color this stuff is breaking down and not being picked up in the inline filter.

The curious thing I discovered in carb tear down is the stock jet settings. 110 main and 37.5 pilot, stock needle position (fixed) and needle jet. The orginal dealership was supposed to rejet for the header/air filter. Bike never seemed any quicker or more powerful than stock but that was with only 500 miles of breaking riding before the swap.

So the question is will anything be gained by moving up a size or more on the mains? Any size change suggestions??

Thanks in advance for your help.....seriously happy I found this site!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ 750 L3 rejetting? 17 Jul 2006 11:49 #62655

• apeman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Welcome,

You have a rare KZ, so don't be surprised if you have different configurations on your bike compared to most of the KZ750 bikes on this board. Pictures!!!

[Can't help you with your jetting issues, but someone else here will undoubtedly respond.]
/
Petaluma and Truckee, CA -- member since Jan. 23, 2003;
PREVIOUS KZs: 1980 KZ750H with 108,000 miles; 1980 KZ750E with 28,000 miles; and KZ750H street/cafe project, all sold a few years back.

This is what I do for fun, not for work. It is art, with a little engineering thrown in.

KZ 750 L3 rejetting? or 1982 GPZ ? 17 Jul 2006 15:10 #62700

• avmedco
  • User
Cosemetically you're right, it is rare.

Anyone know the production numbers?

However, mechanically besides the handle bars and a few other minor mechanical changes it's virtually the same bike as the 1982 GPZ 750. So I'm hopeful for feedback.

thanks

KZ 750 L3 rejetting? 18 Jul 2006 18:06 #62983

• gpzrox
  • User
Lets see if this works: Wired did a great writeup on what to do, and he is very good at what he does, from what I understand. The thread was a couple of days ago, labelled pods vs. jets or something of the sort.

kzrider.com/component/option,com_joomlab...ew/id,60427/catid,3/

Post edited by: gpzrox, at: 2006/07/18 21:07
84 GPZ750. Modded with stock Kawasaki parts: ZR-7 shock, ZX-6 coils, GPZ1100 throttle, EN454 brake, GPZ900 fuse box, etc. and non stock: Ken Sears mirrors, K&N filter, Pirelli Sport Demons.

KZ 750 L3 rejetting? 19 Jul 2006 21:21 #63263

• avmedco
  • User
I did see the thread on the BS34 but the jetting sizes seem pretty extreme for my application.

Remember, I'm not using pods but do have a Kerker 4-1 and K+N in stock box. I think the bike has been running lean forever but top speed is no longer the issue in my age group. I would like a little quicker response in low to mid range as well as better idle. I never thought the idle was great even before the header but she always fired right up with a good battery and stock jetting.

In the end, it's really just about making my old friend as smooth and perfect as possible, given constraints of time and money.

I ordered a rebuild kit from Jeff @ Z1 which bumps the main to either 112.5 or 115 (110 is stock). Also will have the option of clip position. Not sure what pilot size is coming...I'll have to call and ask.

The question remains...which main size and clip postion???? :S

KZ 750 L3 rejetting? 20 Jul 2006 06:51 #63356

• trippivot
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
for what you want to do I suggest getting a set of performance needles and bump the pilot up a size or two.

the only way I know how to get the proper needles is in the dyno jet kit but this product has main jets not pilots

other stock needles are trouble!!

but if you do get adj. needles start at #3 clip position and adjust from there

• Page: