Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Tk 26 carb tuning/ syncing 10 Aug 2023 17:15 #888143

• Hucksawyer
  • Hucksawyer's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Can anyone give me the points on adjusting and syncing these. I thought I knew,  but after doing it, I've got a no start/start at full choke but won't do anything at any other setting and any throttle kills it. 
When it was running OK, after a syncing the carbs on the bench, i got it up to temp then adjusted the idle knob to around 1200rpm. I adjusted the air screws but turning them in and out until I got the highest rpm out of each ones adjustment.  Then I continued with the throttle plates, getting them all within 2 inches of hg. Then readjusted the idle knob back to 1200. What is the correct procedure on this? Also, when adjusting the throttle plates are you supposed to shoot for the highest vacuum reading attainable? 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tk 26 carb tuning/ syncing 11 Aug 2023 15:28 #888189

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2071
Based on your post, the mixtures are likely very lean. Did you confirm the fuel level before adjusting anything else? The wet, or clear tube method is the best way to insure the proper level.If the level is really low, that carb will have a very lean mixture. It is also possible that the carbs are not fully seated in the holders, or that you neglected to put the vacuum caps back on the vacuum ports after synchronizing.

As far as the order of things, it looks ok to me. Did the pilot screws start out the same number of turns out? Are they still pretty close, or is one or two much farther out or in than the others?
When synchronizing, the actual vacuum reading is less important than having them all as close to the same as possible. The recommended idle speed is 1050, + or - 50 rpm.

This is all in the fsm, but it is spread out all over the place. See for instance pages 19 - 22, 263, 352 - 353, 361 - 365 and on page 376 are the jet and needle numbers for your model.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: howardhb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by TexasKZ.
  • Page: