Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ550 carb cleaning/removal 19 Oct 2020 05:31 #837218

• Gunclbprez
  • Gunclbprez's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I recently won at auction a 1981 KZ550A model, I managed to figure out the clutch start switch combo and got it running (after a little electrical sleuthing). Bike runs but will not stay running unless the choke is on full or partially. I know the carbs need cleaned, My question is how to take em off with that airbox fitted in the frame the way it is. And do I really need to remove the whole thing (carb) or one at a time? Is it possible to clean without taking the assembly apart? My first Kaw...I have 40 Aermacchis and one Suzuki 500 Titan. I know a lot about the HD's nothing about either of the others. Been working on stuff for 48 yrs...cars, bikes, large generators, you name it if it runs I can work on it. Thanks...And I need a speedo the one on the bike is crushed....the results of an accident by the PO. NOS is over 300 bucks...just saying

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ550 carb cleaning/removal 19 Oct 2020 06:42 #837223

• TexasKZ
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2067
Welcome aboard.
First of a all, I suggest downloading the factory service manual. There is one under the articles tab that should cover your exact year and model.
The carburetors need to come out as an assembly, then they need to be completely disassembled and carefully cleaned. Look for a post from member Loudhvx. In his signature line there are links to a wealth of information specific to the 550.
As a rule, removing the mounting screws will allow you to pull the air box back just a bit. If the intake boots are still soft enough, you can roll them back on themselves. Otherwise, you will do a bit of wrestling.
Also be aware that the Japanese do not use Phillips head screws. All those cross head screws you see are JIS, and require a more blunt screw driver to prevent damage to the screw heads. You can modify some Phillips drivers, or buy some correct tools. Z1Enterprises and other decent tool sellers stock them.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

KZ550 carb cleaning/removal 19 Oct 2020 07:01 #837225

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2674
I recently finished up these carbs and it was a fun project. The TK's are a little more complicated than the more common Mikuni VM's but nothing overly difficult. I suggest taking lots of photos during disassembly and don't wait too long before putting them back together otherwise you may forget how they came apart (like I did.)

The choke sliders need some work otherwise the pins for the flapper valve may fall out. Loudhvx's webpages have lots of good info.

Good luck

Attachments:

KZ550 carb cleaning/removal 19 Oct 2020 17:02 #837264

• riturbo
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 277
Gpz 750 turbo The one I ride
Gpz 750 turbo Not finished
Gpz 750 turbo Not started
Gpz 550 1981
Gpz 550 1983
Bunch of other junk

• Page: