• Page:

TOPIC:

Carb question 06 Oct 2020 13:20 #836299

• bSzemanKZ440
  • bSzemanKZ440's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Mechanical Engineering student
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello! I just recently picked up a 1980 KZ440 B1 that I traded an old computer for. I have no experience working on bikes, a little with cars, but I would consider myself pretty mechanically inclined.
It seems like most of the parts are there, I've traced down all the wiring, a few loose ends here and there but most of them are pretty solid. I already bought a battery, a sealed ytx9-bs, which the previous owner told me was correct. It doesn't have the throttle grip or cable, for sure needs a new clutch cable since it doesn't like to go back on its own once its pulled, and it'll probably need a new brake cable since its super hard to pull. I ordered the right throttle handle that comes with the electronics assembly and the left handle, and ordered an OEM throttle cable.
I haven't got into the carb yet, the guy I got it from before said he rode it not too long ago but he has 12 bikes he's working on so he had no time for his cheaper bikes (hence trading it for an old computer) but he said the carb probably doesn't need to be rebuilt, but a cleaning wouldn't hurt.
My question right now though, what are the two nipples on the bottom of the carb for? If a line goes there, where does it lead to? Also, where does the throttle cable go on the carb?
Let me know what info you guys need, and thanks for the help! Also attached a pic of my baby, let me know if even from looking at it from the outside, if you can tell me what it needs, I can use all the help. And yes I know it needs a seat :S
Thanks!
1980 KZ440-B1
1981 KZ650 CSR
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Carb question 06 Oct 2020 16:29 #836310

• bSzemanKZ440
  • User
Don't know why my pictures uploaded sideways, sorry!
1980 KZ440-B1
1981 KZ650 CSR

Carb question 06 Oct 2020 19:53 #836326

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2671
The nipples on the float bowls are for the overflow/drain tubes. Connect a section of tubing and route them off the side of the rear tire so if a leak occurs it won't wet down the tire.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bSzemanKZ440

Carb question 06 Oct 2020 20:32 #836328

• bSzemanKZ440
  • User
Oh that makes sense. Thanks!
1980 KZ440-B1
1981 KZ650 CSR

Carb question 06 Oct 2020 20:52 #836329

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2050
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Carb question 09 Oct 2020 20:40 #836506

• quantum sloth
  • User
So I have a '79 KZ400 which will my question is or here's a little rundown So when it's cold I tend to have to use a little starting fluid two in a sense primate I guess to get it started like it's not picking up the gas or whatever but then it will run fine as long as I you know let it warm up keep keep keep on the throttle a little bit let it warm up let it warm up but I warm up and then when I I ride I go you know a few miles or whatever and it will die like it's out of gas or whatever and I'm wondering if if it's either the aftermarket petcock valve I have not allowing enough gas flow or maybe I have the the floats miss adjusted

Carb question 15 Oct 2020 12:39 #836919

• bSzemanKZ440
  • User
Sorry for the late response. It seems like it could be that it's not getting enough gas flow? Or it could be your idle jets. Have you cleaned the carbs at all?
Let me know if you got an answer
1980 KZ440-B1
1981 KZ650 CSR

• Page: