Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Rejuvenate diaphragms on CV carbs? 01 Oct 2020 13:09 #835983

• Lord Osis
  • Lord Osis's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
specifically for 26mm TK carbs used on 82/83 GPZ 550, but I imagine if there is a way it would be good for any

I have two sets of carbs and one set of them the diaphragms are stiff, as in rigid.
I'm not sure what happened except they have sat around for a long time.
kind of shoots down my idea of using one set to mount pod air filters, which may be a good thing in that it might be more trouble than it is worth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rejuvenate diaphragms on CV carbs? 01 Oct 2020 15:40 #835993

• ckahleer
  • User
  • Thank you received: 133
A good test would be to attach a shop vac to a carb with stiff diaphragms and then to an identical carb with soft diaphragms. How much difference is there in slide movement.
A soaking in ArmorAll or other vinyl treatment may help.
94 KE100
81 CM200t
82 KZ305
79 KZ400
85 VT 500c
85 VF1100c

Rejuvenate diaphragms on CV carbs? 01 Oct 2020 17:33 #836004

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2067
I have read about guys trying desperately to soften up the air box to carburetor boots by soaking them in a wild variety of concoctions. The best result I have seen made them softer for a bit, but they soon became hard again. So far as I can tell, once rubber gets hard, it stays that way.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: Locknut

Rejuvenate diaphragms on CV carbs? 01 Oct 2020 19:50 #836008

• Irish Yobbo
  • User
  • Thank you received: 93
I have heard about softening rubber by soaking in a mixture of wintergreen oil and water. Most discussions online of people trying this seem to result in success.

But keep in mind that this is not restoring rubber, it's just softening it. It might prevent it from cracking and might restore movement, but I would still put it on the 'experimental' list of things to try.

The way I see it, if you have time then it's probably worth giving a go if you can get some wintergreen oil cheap.. If it's already rigid, it's useless. The wintergreen oil will either restore it (yay!), do nothing, or ruin it - but it doesn't really matter if you ruin a part that's already stuffed.
1981 KZ750 LTD

Rejuvenate diaphragms on CV carbs? 03 Oct 2020 23:10 #836121

• azman857
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 111
Have you tried JBM industries to see if they have new diaphragm for your carbs? I just did mine on my 6 BS34's(2 on my XS650 and 4 on my '82 750GPz carbs).Took almost no time at all to do them. Rode the XS650 with the new diaphragms and life is good!
I don't have a plan and I'm sticken' to it! '77 KZ 650 / 750 GPz custom project in progress

Rejuvenate diaphragms on CV carbs? 04 Oct 2020 03:30 #836126

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 656
Once the plastisizors have leached out the rubber any "solution" will be temporary at best. The only long term solution is to buy new.
nrp-carbs.co.uk

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nebr_Rex

Last edit: by Warren3200gt.

Rejuvenate diaphragms on CV carbs? 04 Oct 2020 05:34 #836131

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2677
JBM doesn't seem to sell TK diaphragm's and that place in the UK is expensive and requires sending the slides to them, which may be buzz kill if living far away.

There are a few decent looking sets of carbs on ebay. That may be the path of least resistance. I'd contact the seller and have them verify the diaphragm's before buying though.

Rejuvenate diaphragms on CV carbs? 04 Oct 2020 07:10 #836137

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 656
Having never worked on tk diaphragm carbs, when they say fitted what exactly does that mean? I doubt the original assembly process is something that couldn't be replecated by a reasonably competent enthusiast or am I wrong?

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

Last edit: by Warren3200gt.

Rejuvenate diaphragms on CV carbs? 04 Oct 2020 14:19 #836156

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
So far, I haven't located any reliable source for new diaphragms on the TK26/27 carbs. I have already converted one set of intakes to use the much simpler Tk22 carbs. They work pretty well on the motors that came with 26's.

Rejuvenate diaphragms on CV carbs? 04 Oct 2020 17:46 #836178

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2677
I just finished restoring a set of TK22's and enjoyed working on them. Gotta love mechanical slide carbs for their ease of tuning and lack of rubber parts.

Rejuvenate diaphragms on CV carbs? 03 Jun 2021 16:34 #849568

• Lord Osis
  • Lord Osis's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5

JBM doesn't seem to sell TK diaphragm's and that place in the UK is expensive and requires sending the slides to them, which may be buzz kill if living far away.

There are a few decent looking sets of carbs on ebay. That may be the path of least resistance. I'd contact the seller and have them verify the diaphragm's before buying though.

As I mentioned, I already bought a set of carbs ($150!) and yes, inspected to make sure the diaphragms were good. Since that's the only reason I was buying them.
so if I can find some diaphragms, I would have two set of carbs

I cannot believe the prices people are asking for crappy sets of carbs, the ones I got were a steal apparently

• Page: