• Page:

TOPIC:

250 carb questions 02 Nov 2005 14:11 #6140

• skitch
  • skitch's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a KZ250 motor; needs a carb.
I don't know much about motorcycle carbs. I looked for some time to find an oem carb for the motor, but gave up. I bought a Kehin carb on ebay a while back, but someone said that it's made for a 2 stroke 250.
Does that make a difference here?
How do I know if it's the right size?
Does anyone have the correct part- maybe to trade?
Some brief, practical guidance, please!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

250 carb questions 03 Nov 2005 11:32 #6299

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
skitch, You may or may not be aware that buykawasaki.com has parts diagrams for your bike. Unfortunately, with regards to carburtors, they don't provide any information regarding manufacturer or size but you CAN look at the drawing for your bike (carburetor parts or carburetor assembly or just carburetor) and see if the carburetor is a round slide or constant velocity type. In general, the round slide type have smaller venturi size than do the constant velocity. I would NUMBER 1, match the TYPE and size of carburetor... that is, if the one from buykawasaki.com was a CV carburetor, I would look for a CV carburetor the same venturi diameter size. If it is a round slide carb, get a similarly sized round slide. You can find venturi size in a shop manual... it will say BS34 or VM26 or something similar describing the carb and the number will be the size... 34mm and 26mm respectively. I would also closely check the choke to ensure that it can be actuated easily. In other words, if a choke is cable actuated, you will need a cable system on your bike to operate the choke or have to fabricate one. If the carb has a knob to pull out to actuate the choke, that is probably a good thing.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

250 carb questions 03 Nov 2005 21:16 #6369

• skitch
  • User
Now you've lost me.
O.k. I checked that site out. The carburetor is defintely different. The throttle cable on the carb I have connects directly to the big round slide. But I can't tell how the Kawasaki one is supposed to operate.
But, I still don't know how (or if) this affects anything

Sorry for my stupidity on this matter, Carburetors have never been my strong suit (They only teach E.F.I. in the auto courses these days)and I am pretty new to working on bikes.
I'm not sure what most of that terminology meant.

Post edited by: skitch, at: 2005/11/04 00:39

250 carb questions 03 Nov 2005 21:44 #6381

• ibsen22000
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Read this thread:
kzrider.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=28865

And I'm sure AbyssDncr will answer any question you might have.:)

250 carb questions 04 Nov 2005 05:46 #6406

• wiredgeorge
  • User
Any chance of posting a picture of the carburetor you have purchased? Have you measured the inner diameter as it would fit into an intake manifold?
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

250 carb questions 04 Nov 2005 07:06 #6430

• skitch
  • User
I had a picture somewhere, I'll have to look. I don't have my digital camera at the moment.

But I found this on ebay; If the price doesn't go up too much, I may just buy it.

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1982-KAWASAKI-KL...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

250 carb questions 04 Nov 2005 07:22 #6434

• wiredgeorge
  • User
That looks to be a Mikuni Contstant Velocity BS series carburetor... probably either 32mm or 34mm ID on the cylinder head side and would be a pretty good choice. It is good to get the throttle mechanism as the cable for that carburetor is different than on a round slide (VM) type carb which will have a different type throttle. The carb pictured on ebay has a choke knob on it so you don't have to worry about fabricating a cable mechanism/mount. I am not sure what the wires are for attached to the throttle.
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

250 carb questions 04 Nov 2005 18:58 #6573

• skitch
  • User
It's from an '82 Kawasaki 250 4-stroke, so it's about as close a match as I have found thus far. It should (in theory) slide right into place.
I probably won't end up using that cable or grip. It looks like there's some sort of switch on it. I already have a new throttle grip. I'll just have to make a cable to fit. I'll need it quite a bit shorter, anyhow (Smaller frame/drag bars).

• Page: