Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Carb questions with pics 11 Jul 2006 22:07 #61279

• Torch
  • Torch's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey, i was wondering if i posted pics of my carbs if i could find out a little more about them. I know there Mikuni's, but im new to these bikes and was wondering if they varied models of carbs over the years.

Also, if you guys could look and see if theres anything missing....besides the breathers.....that i should know about. In one of the pictures im holding what looks to be either a vent line....or a really really long vaccum tube thats not currently connected to anything. The bikes almost impossible to start when cold, but once you get it hot...it fires up no problem.

The bike seems like it tries to fire up easier with the choke off, i don't even get a hit with the choke on. Automatically i thought that its getting too much fuel on the idle circuit, but the only way you can get the bike to start is with starting fluid....so that doesn't really make any since. Im thinking its going to need a rebuild, then set to baseline, synched and tuned. Anyone have any jet reccomendations, the engine is a 76-77 Z1 in a 78 KZ B2 bike. Im at about 700 ft. above sea level. Has a 4 into 1 header and an aftermarket slip one. Im not aware of any internal mods, so i can't answer any questions there. I was thinking about running the 4 individual air filters instead of trying to chase down a factory breather.

Oh yeah, and are the nipples on the bottom of each carb just drains?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Carb questions with pics 11 Jul 2006 22:09 #61281

• Torch
  • User
Right hand side
Attachments:

Carb questions with pics 11 Jul 2006 22:09 #61282

• Torch
  • User
This is the hose i was talking about
Attachments:

Carb questions with pics 12 Jul 2006 04:28 #61317

• btchalice
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
the nipples on the bottom are overflows, the vacuum line should hook to the petcock on the tank. i used to run 119 mains on my 900 with a kerker and pods. it does sound like they need to be cleaned thoroughly.
Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.

Carb questions with pics 12 Jul 2006 06:29 #61346

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Go to my web site and look at the VM series carb connection page. I suspect those carbs are 77 or 78 KZ1000 style VM26s.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Carb questions with pics 12 Jul 2006 06:55 #61356

• ltdrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
It's hard to get a good picture of the carb fuel/vent hoses, but here's what I have.

The green hoses are fuel lines that come from the tank petcock. I have an in-line fuel filter in each of the two lines.

The clear hoses are vent lines. They run from the carbs (in two places), and end under the seat. They actually clip to the air filter cover, if you still have the stock airbox.

Hope that helps.

Post edited by: ltdrider, at: 2006/07/12 09:56
'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC
Attachments:

Carb questions with pics 12 Jul 2006 15:19 #61512

• KZKrayzee
  • User
I just finished cleaning the carbs on my KZ650. Here are a few pics.

Post edited by: KZKrayzee, at: 2006/07/12 18:27
Attachments:

Carb questions with pics 13 Jul 2006 20:09 #61832

• Torch
  • User
wiredgeorge wrote:

Go to my web site and look at the VM series carb connection page. I suspect those carbs are 77 or 78 KZ1000 style VM26s.

Hey thanks, that helped out alot. Man i wish i lived closer, your rebuild and on the bike tune sounds like a pretty good deal. I was kind of wondering if they were the original carbs for the bike, or if they were the ones that were on the 900 engine they swapped out.

Thanks for the help everyone. My bike doesn't have a vacuum petcock, so they have to be the bowl vents. Im going to try tearing them down and cleaning out all the orfices and seeing what that does. Its going to atleast need pods before its ever going to run right.

Im thinking that my floats are out of adjustment or something, i accidently left the fuel switch on the other day and came home from work to a puddle of gas under the bike where it had dripped out of the carbs. It may have just been the drains doing there job, although since i have no hoses hooked up to them, the fuel just ran all over the bike.

I just can't figure out what it could be, won't start when cold...if you do get it started, the idle is a little rough and you have to keep blipping the throttle to keep it idling. But you can let it warm up and it fires right off the bat, but still with a rough idle. Its almost like the bike tries to start better without the choke when cold.

Carb questions with pics 14 Jul 2006 07:26 #61912

• ltdrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
Torch:
Make sure that your choke lever is actually lifting the rod on each of the carbs. The linkage fits into little white plastic spools on each carb. You can just barely see one in my pic - bottom right side.
The spools deteriorate with sun, heat, and time. If they're gone, then your choke lever won't actually put the carbs in choke mode.
'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

Carb questions with pics 16 Jul 2006 23:14 #62526

• Torch
  • User
ltdrider wrote:

Torch:
Make sure that your choke lever is actually lifting the rod on each of the carbs. The linkage fits into little white plastic spools on each carb. You can just barely see one in my pic - bottom right side.
The spools deteriorate with sun, heat, and time. If they're gone, then your choke lever won't actually put the carbs in choke mode.

Yeah, there all engaging just fine. I pulled the carbs off tonight to get a better look. The bike didn't have any fuel filters on it and theres some rust in the tank. I pulled to trap out of the fuel petcock and there was tons of trash in it. Im thinking about pulling them apart and cleaning them to see if it helps.

Im not sure if i want to try that before rebuilding them or not. Seems like alot of extra expense to replace gaskets twice if a cleaning doesn't fix the problem. Im almost willing to bet the bike has never been rejetted for the header and pods either.

• Page: