TOPIC:

1981 KZ1000J-1CARB HELP NEEDED 22 Mar 2020 11:33 #821408

• aquaholic
  • aquaholic's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 KZ1000 J1
  • Thank you received: 36
Hello fello0w riders,
1981 KZ1000J1. Engine rebuilt, compression at 150psi, valves rebuilt and shimmed properly. I've got the engine up and running< sort of lol. I bought a Color Tune kit and when I put it in the #2 cylinder I'm not seeing any firing in that cylinder (yes there is spark) until I open the throttle. I have been into and cleaned all of the Carbs 3x. Do you know of anyone who cleans carbs reasonably lol. I would consider replacing that carb if someone had a working one for a decent price. Obviously, like everyone else I'm working on a budget. I'm restoring this bike for the son of a great friend who has passed. I hate to not finish this at this point as I have too much time and cash invested and I want to see it back on the road. Any ideas, send them please. Be safe out there, the world is in turmoil right now. Jon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1981 KZ1000J-1CARB HELP NEEDED 22 Mar 2020 14:06 #821424

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1008
It sounds like the problem is the pilot circuit, which is the fuel source for low rpm's. If it were me I would take them apart again and focus my efforts on the pilot circuit in that carb. Check the air intake as well as the fuel circuit.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: aquaholic, old_kaw

1981 KZ1000J-1CARB HELP NEEDED 22 Mar 2020 14:16 #821429

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2659
This tutorial may help...zeus.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/gs/Mikuni_...Rebuild_Tutorial.pdf

Shortcuts are longcuts so know that going in. PM me if you have any questions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: aquaholic, old_kaw

1981 KZ1000J-1CARB HELP NEEDED 22 Mar 2020 14:24 #821431

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269
My friends give solid advice. Take them apart again and concentrate on the pilot circuits. There are also some little plugs under the pilot jets that must be in place for them to operate properly. This means unganging them to take apart the "choke" (cold enrichment) circuit to clean out the passages.. The tutorials for the >correct< carbs lay it out well.

These are 81 Kz1000 carbs.

Notice the small plugs by the main jet. **Note #1 is missing. I was hunting the o-rings.

Brass polishes nicely.
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: aquaholic

Last edit: by old_kaw.

1981 KZ1000J-1CARB HELP NEEDED 22 Mar 2020 14:38 #821434

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269
Also tank liners are know to dissolve in some fuels and plug carb circuits. If the tank has a liner,, that may be a good place to start. My bike plugged the pilot circuits constantly until I removed that crap. (smallest fuel passages) Tank liners are meant for leakers with no other choice, and even then plugged carbs are to be expected.
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.
The following user(s) said Thank You: aquaholic

Last edit: by old_kaw.

1981 KZ1000J-1CARB HELP NEEDED 16 Apr 2020 17:35 #823508

• aquaholic
  • aquaholic's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 KZ1000 J1
  • Thank you received: 36
UPDATE: I removed the carbs AGAIN and used the tutorial Nessism was kind enough to attach. All of the pilot areas referenced were clean but the main Jet was plugged solid. Everything is back together and I'll be trying to start in the near future. I also found that one of the carb holders was leaking where it bolts to the head, that didn't help either but that is all sealed up now. I will update again as soon as I have time to start it. Thanks for everyone's help, be well and stay safe. Jon

• Page: