Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Vm26 how to replace plunger pad 11 Feb 2021 19:51 #843360

• Saablord
  • User
  • Thank you received: 59
I believe im having this issue with one of my carbs and am going to order some material and lathe out a couple punches.

I could probably make a few sets if anyone wants them, but you're responsible for digging out the old ones.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawasakik1e

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Vm26 how to replace plunger pad 11 Feb 2021 20:30 #843361

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2611
The following user(s) said Thank You: Saablord, Kawasakik1e

Vm26 how to replace plunger pad 12 Feb 2021 03:19 #843366

• asphalt900
  • User
  • Thank you received: 166
You don't have to "dig" them out. Just soak them in some paint remover. They swell-up, so you can just fling them out. I used to use the old formula of Berryman's that did the same thing. I had a batch of these (500) made but still cannot find them since the move?? Thinking the actual sheet was in the 2mm thickness range but it's been 10-12 yrs ago? I had Hanna Rubber of KCMO punch them out for me. I think i paid around 500.00USD at that time for set-up and product for Hanna. That's why i'm sorry i cannot find them. I've had the Keyster flat pads just fall out on a couple of triples i was working on years ago, YES just watched them roll across the floor and under the workbench. The material either shrunk or brass wasn't rolled enough.

Vm26 how to replace plunger pad 12 Feb 2021 07:53 #843374

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1853

Saablord wrote: I believe im having this issue with one of my carbs and am going to order some material and lathe out a couple punches.

I could probably make a few sets if anyone wants them, but you're responsible for digging out the old ones.

No reason to reinvent the wheels. Go back into this post and look for zed1015’s replies. He has already figured this all out
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.
The following user(s) said Thank You: zed1015

Vm26 how to replace plunger pad 12 Feb 2021 08:27 #843377

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2611
I just posted this. They are the same VM 24 - VM 33's. The ones without the pins won't work correctly. God only knows what else I'll find when I replace them in my 33's. On startup it seems it floods if I don't feather the choke lever. I suspect there's another flat one in there or maybe two.
Steve

Last edit: by SWest. Reason: sp

Vm26 how to replace plunger pad 12 Feb 2021 10:28 #843385

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1459

Mikaw wrote:

Saablord wrote: I believe im having this issue with one of my carbs and am going to order some material and lathe out a couple punches.

No reason to reinvent the wheels. Go back into this post and look for zed1015’s replies. He has already figured this all out

And if you can get the pads fitted in the plunger freehand without marking the seal or splitting the brass retaining edge you'll be lucky unless they aren't the correct size.
If it was that easy i wouldn't have spent months developing the tooling and the lubricant assisted insertion rig to enable them to be installed correctly without damage.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: Saablord

Last edit: by zed1015.

Vm26 how to replace plunger pad 17 Feb 2021 18:48 #843624

• Saablord
  • User
I didnt know jetrus had new plungers... nice!

Huh. i did not get any topic notifications for this. I went full steam ahead as i did not know any replies were posted.

It wasn't too difficult to pull out the old seals without damaging anything. they were 6.75mm (od) x 2.1mm (id) x 2.15mm (thick).

I ended up using high strength buna-n 50A 3/32" sheet which should last another 30/40yrs like the original material. The 50A material made it way easier to slip the new seals in.

My punches left a slight taper on the OD of the seal, so even though the 3/32" was a bit thick, they fit perfectly. Leaking chokes was definitely the issue with my carbs... lol
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

Last edit: by Saablord.

Vm26 how to replace plunger pad 17 Feb 2021 19:19 #843629

• Saablord
  • User
Crap! I always have a better idea after the fact... I have 2 part urethane rubber sitting on my shelf. This stuff is also gasoline resistant and wouldve been perfect...

Pull the old seal out, tape off the plunger, mix up some urethane and pour it in. doh.

Edit: use a syringe to fill the plunger and ya dont even have to tape it!

Last edit: by Saablord.

Vm26 how to replace plunger pad 17 Feb 2021 20:31 #843631

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2672
Buna-N should be fine. Viton is better for high temps but the carbs won't get hot enough to harm Buna-N.

Vm26 how to replace plunger pad 18 Feb 2021 01:45 #843640

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1459
Unless you are using non ethanol fuel the Buna N ( Nitrile) is not ethanol compatible and will degrade and it is the inclusion of ethanol that greatly accelerates their demise.
Replacement Nitrile seals won't last another 40/50 years due to their ethanol exposure from day one.
This is the reason i only use high grade Viton for my plunger seals and the reason all relatively modern fuel systems have switched from Nitrile to Viton too.
Viton is the only seal material suitable for modern fuels containing ethanol.
The 50 shore is also a little soft and it's less dense open grain will more rapidly absorb the ethanol leading to a faster failure.
75 is comparable to the original seals.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: by zed1015.
  • Page: