Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Mikuni TM27 D1 carbs, GPz550 Unitrak 27 Feb 2020 22:44 #819993

• Slashaguc
  • Slashaguc's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Does anyone have any information on setting up these carbs on a 615cc GPz550?
Sudco have no information as there were only produced for one year.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Slash.
Keep'er pinned, Tina!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mikuni TM27 D1 carbs, GPz550 Unitrak 06 Jul 2020 15:00 #829962

• blorgfreth
  • User
I'm in the same boat. Did you ever get anything figured out? The main jets in particular have been replaced, and I'd like to know what came on these carbs stock.
Any idea how you're supposed to sync these? They don't have vacuum ports.

I'm currently waiting for new o-rings and gasket material to cut new ones by hand.

Mikuni TM27 D1 carbs, GPz550 Unitrak 07 Jul 2020 16:06 #830057

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2673

Mikuni TM27 D1 carbs, GPz550 Unitrak 07 Jul 2020 17:51 #830060

• Injected
  • User
  • Thank you received: 386
I have a set of TM33's installed on my KZ650, your going to find you need a pretty big pilot jet to keep it idling OK for the street. You put a big carb on there for the motor size and it needs a big fuel signal to make it work properly.

On my setup the motor is 831cc, head is big valved (35/29) Stage 3 port job with .400" lift cams.

Generally a 27mm flat slide is just about equal in flow to a 30mm round slide. If you think about it in those terms you would need bigger valves and higher lift cams to get the air flow needed to match the carbs, if not the motor will just bog when you open the throttle. Most hot 550's out there would be running the Keihin CR26's.

These carbs are very similar to the VM29SS Mikuni flat slides they put on 1984/85 Suzuki GSXR750R street bikes. These came out before the RS series flat slides which have the throttle rod located on the opposite side of the carb body to the slide.

Mikuni does still make the TM33 as a single carb for motocross, so a lot of the parts are still available, not sure if they would fit the 27's. Suzuki still carry some parts for there 29mm version, not sure if they are the same either.

I have a set of those early GSXR 29's and they are almost identical to the TM33's in the picture.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

Last edit: by Injected.

Mikuni TM27 D1 carbs, GPz550 Unitrak 07 Jul 2020 18:29 #830061

• blorgfreth
  • User
Thanks, that's excellent info. So if I understand it, these tm-27s were sold as bolt on accessories to run with stock gpz550s out of the box. In theory, they should be jetted correctly for that, but someone has definitely replace the main, based on it still being shiny.

However, I'm running a 615 kit. I would think that a size or two larger pilots would get it idling enough to tune the main, right?

Last edit: by blorgfreth.

Mikuni TM27 D1 carbs, GPz550 Unitrak 07 Jul 2020 20:47 #830064

• Injected
  • User
  • Thank you received: 386
These carbs were offered as a racing part, I don't think they were ever jetted to run on a stock 550. I would not assume that the carbs have the correct jets in them to work with your setup.

When I got mine I tried to start it with the pilots that were in the carbs and my bike would not start. I had to go up three pilot sizes before it would idle without stalling. I think you are correct in assuming you would need a few sets of larger pilots to play with. Brass can be expensive so you need to careful what sizes you choose.

You need to be able to get it to run on the pilot circuit before worrying about the main, the pilot is 80% or more of street riding. If you can't start it or idle it you won't be able to get on the main circuit. I am not sure if this is a street application or a track only application?

I would suggest using a ColorTune kit to properly dial in the pilots.

Mine came with cast in nipples for vacuum takeoff, you might have to drill your rubber manifolds to attach nipples.
The following user(s) said Thank You: blorgfreth

Last edit: by Injected.
  • Page: