Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Eliminate Accel pump on 1980 650E 13 Feb 2020 12:58 #819196

• 650E
  • 650E's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Searched the carb forum but didn't see anything there concerning what I want to do. Sorry if it's been beaten to death or if it's just, plain, obvious.
I recently picked up a 1981 KZ 750H LTD (well... actually a frame, 3 large boxes of parts, and 2 engines: 1981 - 750cc & 1980 - 650cc for $200). After cleaning, sandblasting and painting everything, I put the 650 in the frame and now it's pretty much ready to run (still have to wire it but that shouldn't be hard). Had to buy carbs (off ebay) and clean them but the engine starts and idles (with help from the choke).. The pumper carb is leaking fuel out the front so I'm about to pull the carbs again but I'd like to eliminate the accelerator pump. Is it as simple as just putting on the same bowl as the other carbs (also got a spare set of carbs for $40... parts and such).

I'd really like to eliminate the Accel pump since it adds a bit more complexity to the teardown and I've read that it was really just a crutch anyway.
Any ideas, recommendations, etc. appreciated.
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Eliminate Accel pump on 1980 650E 13 Feb 2020 18:31 #819237

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1620
I don't know the specifics, but you can eliminate the accelerator pump. Probably just disconnect the linkage & replace that bowl. I'm not sure if you have to plug the fuel lines between the bowls. I think some guys replace all 4 float bowls for a cleaner look.

Having said all that, the leak might could be fixed by installing a new AP diaphragm kit. As for the complexity, it's really no big deal.
My 81 KZ650-CSR came stock w VM24 pumper carbs & they haven't caused me any problems. I'd never done carburetor work before, but did the complete disassembly & cleaning and installed a K&L pump kit >> it seemed easy to me. no big deal. This was more than 5 yrs ago & I haven't had to touch the carburetors since then, other than an occasional tuneup synchronization.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Eliminate Accel pump on 1980 650E 13 Feb 2020 20:17 #819245

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 236
They mostly eliminate themselves, as they rarely work. 95% of the time if you take a set of pump carhs and check them you will find all 4 don't pump a bit of fuel.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Eliminate Accel pump on 1980 650E 14 Feb 2020 16:15 #819330

• 650E
  • User
Thanks for the responses and confirming what I had read elsewhere. Pulled the carbs this morning and cleaned/rebuilt them. Eliminated the pumper bowl and replaced it with one I had in the parts box (after cleaning).
If it wasn't so cold, I'd try 'em tomorrow but it's supposed to be around 10F or so... so I'll probably wait.

Thanks again.

Eliminate Accel pump on 1980 650E 26 Feb 2020 14:50 #819919

• 650E
  • User
Just to add a bit more... put carbs back on and its running good except #3 (or maybe it's #2) cylinder.
It's the bowl that I replaced the pump bowl with. At warm up, the exhaust tube is cool (all the others are HOT!). I did notice that this bowl is a but shorter than the others (different year?). Would that make any difference?
They were all rebuilt and adjusted to 1/2 turn out. Doesn't matter what I do to that carb, It just doesn't want to run. There is fuel in that bowl. Spark is good on all cylinders. Have some noise up top (but not on that cylinder) so will probably check valve clearance.

Thanks for any help.

Last edit: by 650E.

Eliminate Accel pump on 1980 650E 27 Feb 2020 01:20 #819936

• kevski
  • User
  • Thank you received: 154
You may be pulling in air around the bowl due to the raise jet in the upper part of the carb not allowing a proper fit the bowl may need a little recess making in it to let it seat correctly

• Page: