Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Carb Setting and Adjustment 02 Feb 2020 16:03 #818437

• Rick H.
  • Rick H.'s Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 254
Okay, I managed to take the KZ-1000 out for an all too brief ride today. It hit 50 degrees for the first time in what seems like an eternity so off I went. Anyway the bike runs pretty good, except sometimes when taking off or making a tight turn. It seems to stumble a bit before it will "go". I wasn't getting on the gas hard, just normal stuff. Otherwise the bike ran really well for the most part, but I never really got on it with all the junk on the road surface. When I got home I pulled the plugs to look at them and cylinders 1 and 2 were pretty sooty. Cylinder 3 and 4 looked really good to my eyes. So in my estimation, cylinders 1 and 2 are running rich and I should lean them out a bit by turning the fuel mix screw in a bit correct? Should I leave 3 and 4 alone? The picture below shows two plugs and they are representative of the other two. Thanks for any suggestions. Now I can put the bike in dry dock for a couple of months again.
Rick H.

Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Carb Setting and Adjustment 02 Feb 2020 16:45 #818441

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1459
Soot on the base ring means you are running rich so maybe lean off the pilots on those cylinders.
Although being 1 and 2 it may be due to wet cylinders if the bike has been garaged on the side stand and fuel has weeped into those cylinders while standing which is common .
The stumble may just be from fluffed plugs because of this and you may just need to give it a longer run to burn off the excess and clear the plugs.
Ground strap looks good for the heat range though.
Are you running the airbox.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick H.

Last edit: by zed1015.

Carb Setting and Adjustment 02 Feb 2020 20:30 #818453

• Rick H.
  • User
Yep, running stock air box with silencer. Thank you!
Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

Carb Setting and Adjustment 03 Feb 2020 05:12 #818458

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1021
I think turning them in (clockwise) makes them richer and turning them out makes them leaner.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

Carb Setting and Adjustment 03 Feb 2020 05:21 #818459

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 655
Hardrockminer is correct. Think of them as a tube allowing air in. Screwing them in blocks the tube and richens the fuel air mixture. Turning them out opens the tube and lets more air in leaning the mixture.

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

Carb Setting and Adjustment 03 Feb 2020 05:30 #818460

• Rick H.
  • User
Not to doubt what anyone has said, but just so we are on the same page, the adjustment screws on my carbs are on the bottom, not the side. So turning them in richens the mixture and turning the out leans the mixture. I had this 180 degrees off if that's the case. Thank you one and all for the help.
Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

Carb Setting and Adjustment 03 Feb 2020 06:13 #818463

• zed1015
  • User

Rick H. wrote: Not to doubt what anyone has said, but just so we are on the same page, the adjustment screws on my carbs are on the bottom, not the side. So turning them in richens the mixture and turning the out leans the mixture. I had this 180 degrees off if that's the case. Thank you one and all for the help.
Rick H.

Rick!

The ones underneath control pilot FUEL and turning them in closes the orifice from the pilot and leans the mixture and out opens the orifice to richen… So you were correct...

The side ones control pilot AIR and it's out to let in more air and lean off the mix and screw in the reduce the air and richen..
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS

The following user(s) said Thank You: Scirocco, Rick H.

Last edit: by zed1015.

Carb Setting and Adjustment 03 Feb 2020 08:29 #818472

• Rick H.
  • User
Thank you Zed1015. I thought I had lost my mind, what little is left. Just for the record, I believe I have the VM26SS carbs on my KZ.
Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

Carb Setting and Adjustment 03 Feb 2020 08:32 #818474

• zed1015
  • User

Rick H. wrote: Thank you Zed1015. I thought I had lost my mind, what little is left. Just for the record, I believe I have the VM26SS carbs on my KZ.
Rick H.

Yes! They will be.

Carb Setting and Adjustment 03 Feb 2020 09:20 #818477

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1021
Apologies Rick. I thought you had fuel/air screws.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

Carb Setting and Adjustment 03 Feb 2020 13:22 #818496

• Rick H.
  • User
No apology necessary Hardrockminer. You have helped me out on a bunch of stuff before and I was 99.9% sure of the answer to my question, but couldn't find it in my books.
Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

• Page: