• Page:

TOPIC:

'79 KZ650SR Carb Issues 31 Jan 2020 13:14 #818314

• kgkomm
  • kgkomm's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey everyone.

So I've got a '79 KZ650SR that I've been working on for a while now. I just did the valve clearances a couple of nights ago and also replaced the contact points/condensers. I believe the final problems lie with the carbs. I have replaced the gaskets in the carbs and the intake boots/carb holders.

I'm running pods and shorter straight piped exhaust (it came with them; I replaced the pods with new ones). My current main jets are 105's. I have tried riding it a few times and the acceleration is pretty sluggish from a stop. Also, the exhaust pops pretty bad several times when I shift into 2nd and start to accelerate, and the same with 3rd (haven't even tried 4th or 5th), but not in 1st. It also pops really bad sometimes while trying to start it.

The spark plugs are pretty dark and sooty, which is usually a sign of running rich, right?

Finally, I live in Utah. Could elevation (4700 ft) be playing a part? Any tips or help you guys can give would be super awesome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by kgkomm.

'79 KZ650SR Carb Issues 31 Jan 2020 13:41 #818315

• gordone
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 67

kgkomm wrote: Hey everyone.

So I've got a '79 KZ650SR that I've been working on for a while now. I just did the valve clearances a couple of nights ago and also replaced the contact points/condensers. I believe the final problems lie with the carbs. I have replaced the gaskets in the carbs and the intake boots/carb holders.

I'm running pods and shorter straight piped exhaust (it came with them; I replaced the pods with new ones). My current main jets are 105's. I have tried riding it a few times and the acceleration is pretty sluggish from a stop. Also, the exhaust pops pretty bad several times when I shift into 2nd and start to accelerate, and the same with 3rd (haven't even tried 4th or 5th), but not in 1st. It also pops really bad sometimes while trying to start it.

The spark plugs are pretty dark and sooty, which is usually a sign of running rich, right?

Finally, I live in Utah. Could elevation (4700 ft) be playing a part? Any tips or help you guys can give would be super awesome.

Have you checked gas float level with clear tube test?

1981 KZ650-D4, with 1981 z750L engine (Wiensco 810 big bore).

Project:
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/607213...sr-1981-z750l-engine
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: