• Page:

TOPIC:

Z1-Z1A-Z1B 28mm carb slide linkage improvement. 19 Jan 2020 07:23 #817427

• z1kzonly
  • z1kzonly's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 512
Got a fresh idea here. Z1 28 Mikuni's. After buying Zed's air corrector jets. I dug out an early set of carbs to redo and sell.
Over the yrs. I sold about 4 or 5 sets of these. And I always doubled these stainless double washer tabs for the slide linkage. Anyone with an original Z1 knows about this!
Worst carbs to work and tune! That's why the factory changed them every year. from the beginning and all thru to the late 70's.
So I went to a local Business that did water jet cutting on a whim, to see if they could do such a small part? And they did! I supplied the stainless material. Now I have to finish them up with a de-burr and slight polish. I already sent one zingin' off the buffer, still can't find it! :laugh: :laugh:
When I get them ready, I'll have 10 sets to sell. Of course I still sell on ebay and FB. This is not an ad yet Steve, so you don't have to move it. Just looking for opinions and after thoughts.
Thanks.
Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Z1-Z1A-Z1B 28mm carb slide linkage improvement. 19 Jan 2020 09:45 #817441

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1022
Great idea! The OEM ones are so thin that they bend when the adjusting nut is tightened. Every time I pull them off I have to straighten them flat again. I would be interested in a dozen if you have that many.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

Z1-Z1A-Z1B 28mm carb slide linkage improvement. 19 Jan 2020 10:40 #817450

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1467
Any practical improvement is a good idea.
Especially for those who actually use the bikes.
Those tabs were always too thin and twist just at the mention of a spanner .
I'm sure you will sell a few especially if you list them on ebay too.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: by zed1015.

Z1-Z1A-Z1B 28mm carb slide linkage improvement. 20 Jan 2020 19:33 #817524

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
HERE THEY ARE CLEANED UP.
THEY ARE LISTED.
HERE IS AN UPDATED PICTURE.
Starts everytime!

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: hardrockminer, Rick H.

Z1-Z1A-Z1B 28mm carb slide linkage improvement. 08 Feb 2020 07:16 #818808

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
Close topic 28mm Z1 carbs.
Had the metal parts Zinc plated for these old carbs.
It is hard to find platers nowadays, Ain't cheap either! Too many regulations, EPA, DEC, "The New Green TAX (next year)" :woohoo: :woohoo:
Slim Jim, here they are, I can't send pictures through the IM.
I'll use the thicker ss washer tabs for these carbs of course.
Should look good when done.
Starts everytime!

Attachments:

Z1-Z1A-Z1B 28mm carb slide linkage improvement. 08 Feb 2020 07:32 #818809

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 597

z1kzonly wrote: Close topic 28mm Z1 carbs.
Had the metal parts Zinc plated for these old carbs.
It is hard to find platers nowadays, Ain't cheap either! Too many regulations, EPA, DEC, "The New Green TAX (next year)" :woohoo: :woohoo:
Slim Jim, here they are, I can't send pictures through the IM.
I'll use the thicker ss washer tabs for these carbs of course.
Should look good when done.

Mmmm... those puppies look NICE! B)

Now to get the carb bodies looking as good to match. No pressure there... :dry:

Looking forward to pics of the finished rack!

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE
A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

Z1-Z1A-Z1B 28mm carb slide linkage improvement. 08 Feb 2020 08:31 #818814

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
Those look really good! You're right about it being expensive. Last winter I decided to try plating myself and bought a kit from Caswells. Results varied from quite good to not so good. I learned that the plated material needs to be absolutely clean and smooth for best results. I figured a vapour blaster would be the best way to clean stuff up but I don't have one. I looked at maybe getting a micro blaster but the company doesn't ship to Canada so that plan is stalled out.

I also bought some new OEM carb clamps in an attempt to coat them with that drab olive green from back in the day. I had a friend blast the black paint off and then zinc coated it. Next step was the colour, but it didn't work very well for some reason.

This year I'm almost ready to go back at it again but I have to take a trip down to Chilliwack to have my buddy do some vapour blasting on some parts.

Here are some photos of stuff from last year.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: z1kzonly

Z1-Z1A-Z1B 28mm carb slide linkage improvement. 08 Feb 2020 10:21 #818817

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
Hi Bill, yes! Over the years, I have learned from having this stuff done. I 1st. blast the parts with an aggressive media. Then I soak in muriatic acid to take the old coatings off. It will look scary black, Fumes are bad! Always do this acid dip outside. And you think you ruined the parts. But then I fine glass bead again. Wrap in paper towels to keep moisture off. Then give it to the plater. Zinc uses an electrical charge as chrome. But the Zinc mixture can be re-used. Prep is the key!
Starts everytime!

Attachments:

Z1-Z1A-Z1B 28mm carb slide linkage improvement. 08 Feb 2020 10:31 #818818

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
Here is something I have noticed with early Z1 carbs. 1 corner of the bowl. Same corner has a bad casting process during the of making them. I seen it a lot over the years researching and looking at pictures of carbs for sale etc. I am afraid to touch these bowls! I would never try and polish them! I polished the tops only.
and check out the vintage stacks! Came from "Greg" another Z1 scholar here. I stripped the chrome off of these. I have been looking for years! to find these long stacks. I am using these on my old hot rod project. This is an acid dip for aluminum, but they will be glass beaded with clear urethane on them. Couple more pics. These old carb castings are very fragile. I hate to mess with them. Just imagine the work that the engineers had to do to make these!
Starts everytime!

Attachments:

Last edit: by z1kzonly.

Z1-Z1A-Z1B 28mm carb slide linkage improvement. 08 Feb 2020 12:15 #818824

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2675
Those carbs are looking FINE!

I've done quite a lot of carb restoring over the last few years. And I've got a Caswell's plating kit too. I've gone back and forth with stripping the old zinc and leaving what's left on and have found that the later is fine for most parts. My process involves degreasing, media blasting, and then wire wheeling with a clean/fresh wheel. For bigger flat parts I strub them down afterwards with simple green and a scotchbrite until all water beading is gone. If there is even a little beading that means the metal is contaminated. After that it's a quicky dip into diluted HCl and into the bath. Adjust current until there is a smig of effervescent fuzz coming off the parts, then turn on the circulation pump which knocks off the bubbles. When the electrolyte is fresh the parts look awesome; super shiny. After a while though the parts come out dull. I recently bought a PH meter since I think the sauce PH is moving towards base. That's what I've read anyway. Sorry for the diversion post. Keep up the good work.

Last edit: by Nessism.

Z1-Z1A-Z1B 28mm carb slide linkage improvement. 09 Feb 2020 09:13 #818892

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 597
Looking good!

We notice the outside of the emulsion tube holders don't show any indication of the pitting & erosion caused by old fuel varnish. That's a nice set to start with.

We'd like to see the finish on the bodies after vapor blast but before clearcoat. Please. The carb bodies on The Wounded Z are seriously dark from oxidation & we're trying to decide how to proceed.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE
A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

Z1-Z1A-Z1B 28mm carb slide linkage improvement. 09 Feb 2020 09:50 #818895

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member

Nessism wrote: Those carbs are looking FINE!

I've done quite a lot of carb restoring over the last few years. And I've got a Caswell's plating kit too. I've gone back and forth with stripping the old zinc and leaving what's left on and have found that the later is fine for most parts. My process involves degreasing, media blasting, and then wire wheeling with a clean/fresh wheel. For bigger flat parts I strub them down afterwards with simple green and a scotchbrite until all water beading is gone. If there is even a little beading that means the metal is contaminated. After that it's a quicky dip into diluted HCl and into the bath. Adjust current until there is a smig of effervescent fuzz coming off the parts, then turn on the circulation pump which knocks off the bubbles. When the electrolyte is fresh the parts look awesome; super shiny. After a while though the parts come out dull. I recently bought a PH meter since I think the sauce PH is moving towards base. That's what I've read anyway. Sorry for the diversion post. Keep up the good work.

Caswells sells a zinc brightener to bring the shine back when things go dull.

Slmjim, my engine cases were almost black from oxidation. A vapour blast and aqua blast (at Kevin's) brought them back to life.

Last edit: by hardrockminer.
  • Page: