Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Gas leaking from pod filter. Cracked overflow pipe? Something else? 07 Jun 2019 16:55 #805330

• dpivas7
  • dpivas7's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
I have a 1980 KZ750E engine with 1982 KZ750 LTD carbs. I have pod filters and a Delkevic 4 to 1 exhaust.

I did what is recommended on this site which is to up the main jets to #70 and #140. I adjusted the pilot jets to 2.25 turns each and it started and idled no problem.

The problem is that for cylinder 1, gas overflows out of the pod filter - even long after the bike is stopped. I had this problem when I still had the LTD engine in it but I always attributed it to rust blocking the float. I cleaned the gas tank of rust and have an inline filter as well as checked the float bowl valves before I reassembled the carb with the new jets.

What else could be causing my problem? I've read that there could be a cracked overflow pipe in the float bowls, I don't think my carb has one... There's no pipe sticking out of the float bowl when I take it off.

My PDF manual is cutoff so that I can't see the entire carburetor diagram. Does anyone have a better image that they could share with me?
Current: '19 Harley Roadster, '72 XLCH, '84 GPz 550
Past: '84 GPz 550, '82 KZ750 LTD, '71 XLCH
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by dpivas7.

Gas leaking from pod filter. Cracked overflow pipe? Something else? 07 Jun 2019 17:10 #805331

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
In addition to the carb problem your petcock is not working properly or you have it set to the wrong position. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Gas leaking from pod filter. Cracked overflow pipe? Something else? 07 Jun 2019 17:25 #805333

• dpivas7
  • User
Nope, it's got brand new gaskets, all the way around and it's set to the setting that only draws fuel when the engine is on (forget whether it's called "prime" or "on").

There's just that much fuel in the bowls that it leaks for a while.

Gas leaking from pod filter. Cracked overflow pipe? Something else? 07 Jun 2019 17:30 #805335

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2659
Sounds like a float needle is not sealing. Did you do the clear tube test to verify fuel level? Did you fully disassemble the carbs and clean them in carb dip? Replace the float needles and polish the seats?

Gas leaking from pod filter. Cracked overflow pipe? Something else? 08 Jun 2019 03:15 #805348

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Would check for the dangerous condition of gasoline having intruded into the crankcase.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Gas leaking from pod filter. Cracked overflow pipe? Something else? 08 Jun 2019 05:05 #805350

• davido
  • User
  • Thank you received: 285
I had exactly the same problem,only it was my No. 4 carb that was overflowing. I fitted new float needles and seats in all 4 carbs and twice I rebuilt the petcock with a fresh rebuild kit.
Nothing worked. In the end, I fitted an inline tap ( the tap from a remote fuel bottle) . Now I have the petcock (rebuilt) a fuel filter, a tap, then the carbs. This set up works fine as long as you remember to turn off the tap when you park up for the night.
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550
(CB500/4)
(CBX750)
GSF600
KZ1000CSR
XT 600e

Gas leaking from pod filter. Cracked overflow pipe? Something else? 08 Jun 2019 05:19 #805352

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828

dpivas7 wrote: Nope, it's got brand new gaskets, all the way around and it's set to the setting that only draws fuel when the engine is on (forget whether it's called "prime" or "on").

Does this happen with the bike on the center stand or only when it's on the side stand? Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Gas leaking from pod filter. Cracked overflow pipe? Something else? 10 Jun 2019 06:17 #805445

• dpivas7
  • User

Nessism wrote: Sounds like a float needle is not sealing. Did you do the clear tube test to verify fuel level? Did you fully disassemble the carbs and clean them in carb dip? Replace the float needles and polish the seats?

Yes, the float level is at the right height and the float needle looks to be in normal, good condition (it looks pretty new actually).

I've never used a carb dip - only compressed air and a can of carb cleaner. Would I have to take the carbs of of the mounting plates?

Gas leaking from pod filter. Cracked overflow pipe? Something else? 10 Jun 2019 06:17 #805446

• dpivas7
  • User

Patton wrote: Would check for the dangerous condition of gasoline having intruded into the crankcase.

How do I check that?

Gas leaking from pod filter. Cracked overflow pipe? Something else? 10 Jun 2019 06:20 #805447

• dpivas7
  • User

650ed wrote:

dpivas7 wrote: Nope, it's got brand new gaskets, all the way around and it's set to the setting that only draws fuel when the engine is on (forget whether it's called "prime" or "on").

Does this happen with the bike on the center stand or only when it's on the side stand? Ed

When it's running, it leaks out regardless of on the center stand or side stand. When it's not it only leaks on the side stand.

Is this carb (CV 34 I think) supposed to have an overflow pipe?

Last edit: by dpivas7.

Gas leaking from pod filter. Cracked overflow pipe? Something else? 10 Jun 2019 14:54 #805467

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098

dpivas7 wrote:

Patton wrote: Would check for the dangerous condition of gasoline having intruded into the crankcase.

How do I check that?

"Sniff test" and examine the physical quality of the oil. Sometimes the oil level will rise due to the gasoline intrusion.

When gasoline rises high enough to flow backward through the carb bore into the air cleaner or pods, the gasoline may also flow forward toward the engine, through the intake ports, into the combustion chamber, and then down around the piston into the crankcase.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• Page: