Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Carb sync tool and timing light recommendations 07 Nov 2018 11:41 #793529

• Dach Savage
  • Dach Savage's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Been out of bikes for some years and now looking to gather the proper tools to tune and maintain my `02 KZ1000. Back in the day I used to have one of the mercury manometer style sync setups but let it get away from me so now thinking to invest in a new rig; also what are you fellow finding is the best type / easiest to use timing light? It has been so long since I worked on anything with adjustable timing that I am not even sure where my Snap-On inductive light has gotten off to. Dach.
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" - Theodore Roosevelt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Carb sync tool and timing light recommendations 07 Nov 2018 11:56 #793530

• shrap66
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
For the Carb synchronizer I have read that the old school mercury are the best. Motion Pro makes one that is similar but without Mercury. I find they are a bit pricey at around $100. I found myself one for $50 canadian that was a good deal. Then there are the dial type ones with the needles. From what I have read the vertical / liquid are the best.

For the timing I use a big automotive timing light with the gizmo that goes around the spark plug and it works fine.

You might want to check local classifieds to try and get a good deal.
1979 KZ1000B3 LTD Glacier Green
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dach Savage

Carb sync tool and timing light recommendations 07 Nov 2018 16:16 #793536

• KZJOE900
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 443
Trouble free Morgan CarbTune

Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450
The following user(s) said Thank You: bluej58

Carb sync tool and timing light recommendations 07 Nov 2018 17:52 #793543

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
I use gauges for syncing my carbs. The good set (top image below) work very well. The cheap set (like those in the bottom image below) failed to work well - in fact one gauge was quite inaccurate. Whichever type carb sync tool you use I highly recommend that after you set all carbs so they are pulling equal vacuum you should then swap the vacuum tool hoses to different carbs and make sure you get the same readings. If the gauge or mercury type tool is accurate the vacuum levels should not change when you swap the hoses to different carbs. That is how I found out the cheapo gauges were not accurate. Ed

GOOD GAUGES

BAD GAUGES
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

Carb sync tool and timing light recommendations 07 Nov 2018 19:48 #793547

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2672
Morgan Carb Tune hands down. They work like mercury but much safer and easier to use.

Carb sync tool and timing light recommendations 08 Nov 2018 08:45 #793561

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269

Nessism wrote: Morgan Carb Tune hands down. They work like mercury but much safer and easier to use.

I would tend to agree here. I have used one in the past (borrowed from a friend) and they don't get more accurate than this. They run ~130.00 new on fleabay. That has been on my long list for a while, joining in with the likes of a valve / clutch spring scale and all those other fairly pricey tools that sit on the shelf more than they get used.

Like Ed said, the dial types, although hey don't have any liquids in them, can be so far out of whack, I feel that bench synching is more accurate than trusting a cheap gauge. I usually bench synch my carbs whenever I do anything to them. My bike is always an animal. :-)

1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.
Attachments:

Carb sync tool and timing light recommendations 08 Nov 2018 23:51 #793590

• Z1Driver
  • User
  • love the smell of triple smoke
  • Thank you received: 55
MORGAN CARB TUNE A real nice unit. Do a search on Morgan Carb Tune. You can get them from ebay, amazon and directly from the factory. The factory is in England and right now they cost $95.00 USD from the factory. Worth every penny too.
Blue 1975 Z1B
Red 2009 Concours 14

Last edit: by Z1Driver.
  • Page: