Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Carbs leaking from overflow tubes- my solution 03 Jan 2018 13:19 #776876

• jdvorchak
  • User
  • Thank you received: 50
I have fixed more than a few of those mainly on BS carbs. I clean the brass tube with emery cloth and that allows the crack to really show up well. I put soldering flux on the crack and used my soldering gun to flow solder onto the tube plugging the crack. Honestly took longer to heat up the soldering gun than to actually fix it.
Don't fix it until it's broken.
John

83 KZ550M1
83 KZ1100LTD

Also own:
2010 Harley Ultra Classic Limited, 2008 Harley low rider 71 CB350/sidecar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by jdvorchak.

Carbs leaking from overflow tubes- my solution 04 Jan 2018 01:57 #776890

• kevski
  • User
  • Thank you received: 154

nhsteve wrote: Kevski-

Now THAT looks like a real professional fix for the problem. I gather you turned the piece down from a solid piece of brass? You must have had to also thread the float bowl after you pulled the small 'spigot' out (pressed in? threaded?)?

Anyway, this never occurred to me to do, and I am not a machinist by any means, nor do I have access to a lathe, but it seems a very solid fix.

All shows the value of forums like this one.

KUDOS!

I have tried the soldering method and for the best part it works , but on this occasion the original spigot was snapped flush with the bowl, i am not a machinist but i do have a lathe and a keen interest in machining, so in this case i had to take the inner tube out to get the bottom remnant out and machined up the piece as a whole and naturally threaded the bowl, the part that took longest was getting the height right,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: