Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Mikuni VM 33 Carbs 09 Mar 2016 16:09 #714663

• SWest
  • SWest's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
Well, I got my new pilot screws. 2&3 slots looked good. I should have ordered four. THIS IS ANOTHER REASON PO's SUCK. The new ones have a hole in them thus the 1/4 to 1/2 turn adjustment. I could tell the PO had soldered the holes and changed the tapers on them but WTF? :pinch: The new ones look like they have a jet hole in the tip too. I got four O rings. I've tried others but they wouldn't fit. I'm going to put them in the bike now and plan on installing my new vacuum "nipples" tomorrow. I'll sync them then.
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mikuni VM 33 Carbs 09 Mar 2016 16:54 #714675

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Put them in. A little grease. the O rings slipped right in. The new ones are in 1 & 4 3/4 turn, it idles. 2 & 3 1 1/4 turn, idle comes up like on the 28's. As I suspected the O rings make the screws more effective. I'll order 2 new ones later and more on the carbs tomorrow.
Steve

Mikuni VM 33 Carbs 10 Mar 2016 15:05 #714763

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
After work this morning I went into town. The bike ran great and I did another high speed pass in the usual place. Better response but a few miles later it started a lean misfire. That's what I mean by putting some miles on it before doing anything else. I'll readjust the pilots but it looks like I'll have to wait until Saturday to do more work on the carbs. Check the float levels, install the new vacuum "nipples" and sync them.
BTW, I put in 130 mains. They are marked AB. No difference compared to the 125 Mikuni mains. I wanted 127.5's but they didn't have them. I'm going to my daughter's next week so I'll stop by Chaparral and get some GENUINE MIKUNI's. :angry:
Steve

Mikuni VM 33 Carbs 10 Mar 2016 15:19 #714766

• daveo
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 633

swest wrote: After work this morning I went into town. The bike ran great and I did another high speed pass in the usual place. Better response but a few miles later it started a lean misfire. That's what I mean by putting some miles on it before doing anything else. I'll readjust the pilots but it looks like I'll have to wait until Saturday to do more work on the carbs. Check the float levels, install the new vacuum "nipples" and sync them.
BTW, I put in 130 mains. They are marked AB. No difference compared to the 125 Mikuni mains. I wanted 127.5's but they didn't have them. I'm going to my daughter's next week so I'll stop by Chaparral and get some GENUINE MIKUNI's. :angry:
Steve

Would that "high speed pass" have been at WOT!!! :evil:
1982 KZ1100-A2

Mikuni VM 33 Carbs 10 Mar 2016 15:37 #714770

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Yup, I got a clip of it but it makes me look like I do it all the time. I do like leaving the Slow Birds in the weeds though. :evil: :whistle:
Steve

Mikuni VM 33 Carbs 10 Mar 2016 18:25 #714797

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Most of the pricks are old. I know I am but they are in their 80's. They will do anything they can to keep me behind them. I love the looks on their faces as I pas them by. Nothing new. Guys my age resented me when I was young. I don't treat younger guys that way unless their STUPID. :evil:
Steve

Mikuni VM 33 Carbs 10 Mar 2016 20:33 #714833

• daveo
  • Premium Member
Yep, them old Harley pan-heads are really something. :ohmy: :whistle: :blush:
1982 KZ1100-A2

Mikuni VM 33 Carbs 10 Mar 2016 20:48 #714835

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
I like the old pans. I hear they had unlimited top end. :woohoo:
Steve

Mikuni VM 33 Carbs 10 Mar 2016 21:20 #714838

• daveo
  • Premium Member

swest wrote: I like the old pans. I hear they had unlimited top end. :woohoo:
Steve

Wish I still had the 73 right-shift Sporty, at least just to look at. That thing was the bomb, but nothing like the Kaw...yes, unlike a Harley, you can't kill them however hard you try, because...they won't die!

Passed my share of Harley jerks with noses in the air, and one thumb pointed down in seeming despair...lol
Sad for them, while viewed in the mirror. B)
1982 KZ1100-A2

Mikuni VM 33 Carbs 12 Mar 2016 05:20 #715060

• daveo
  • Premium Member
Moved subject from Electrical to Carburetor today :)

The Electrical Spark Plugs of Color discussion has brought us back to the carbs, so... :huh:

The carburetors were carefully synchronized a few days ago with a Morgan Carbtune Pro, and I'm loving the synch out of it. :cheer:
I wish the needles were adjustable, but are just raise-able with washers.

I really wonder what that FSM spec mentioned earlier for main jets is all about. It seems odd for the center carbs to have different main jets than the outer two, but that is what Kawasaki called for with that head from the 1984 ZN1100 LTD, and the carbs were slightly different design than the original 1982 BS34 set which is on it.

Not sure if a set of VM33's could net an improvement over the way this engine runs as it is. :unsure:
1982 KZ1100-A2

Last edit: by daveo. Reason: Redirected subject

Mikuni VM 33 Carbs 12 Mar 2016 06:21 #715068

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
I'd follow the recommendations in the FSM but go up one step on the mains and pilots. Other makes had 2/3 richer due to them running hotter than 1/4. You've changed things so finding that "Sweet spot"is going to be a task no matter what carbs you have. I'd get the plug color I want then see if there are adjustable needles of your taper you can use. jetsrus.com/a_jets_by_carburetor_type/needle_selection.html
I thought about changing nozzles and needles but I don't think I have to.
In my case the bike is running pretty good. Flat spots are gone, plugs are clean and a little tweaking I should be there. I just have to live with the drawbacks of a outdated carb system. That is until I can afford modern ones. :unsure:
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo

Mikuni VM 33 Carbs 12 Mar 2016 18:38 #715157

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Installed the vacuum "nipples", removed the old funky ones that weren't even drilled the same. :angry: Pics tomorrow. Repositioned the 1/4 and put a set screw in the old holes with JB Weld. I took a punch and crushed the last two threads so they can't work their way in.
Whenever I used the "choke". I'd get some coughing out of the carbs (lean) so I used my jet drills to open them a little. Better now. Raised the float levels a tad too using the clear tube. By the time I had the carbs back on it was getting dark. I'll sync them in the morning.
Steve

Last edit: by SWest.