Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Mikuni VM 33 Carbs 26 Feb 2016 07:17 #712568

• SWest
  • SWest's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2599
I've been asked about the VM 33's by a member and one last year. First off I wouldn't pay more than $300 in good condition. They're obsolete. I'm including the data on them as I go. These carbs have been a PITA not because they won't work, it's because the PO was a moron. More on that later. Once I got most of the mistakes corrected they have been great carbs. When I was getting Bossie ready for the road I talked to Mike at Z1E. He told me they were good carbs in the day but they had problems dialing them in. Too rich or too lean. Kinda like the VM 29's of the time. Both are smooth bores. Most parts are still available for them being they fit other types. The cost of new parts vs a modern carb set should be factored in as well.
Last year a member asked how much I would charge to set up his 33's. He was having leakage issues and running problems. I told him I would go through the carbs and give him my opinion before spending any money. I didn't hear from him for a few months then he asked again. I offered to set them, put them on my bike, dial them in but he would have to re-sync them and possibly rejet them for his engine. He told me he spent a lot of money buying them on eBay and didn't want to spend much more. I understand that, I'm there too. I need two slides but to set them up like the factory I'll need four and start all over. They're running good now and rather than spend another $2-300 on them, I might just buy some other ones.
I'm hoping others with experience will add to this thread. Here's some specs and data.
Steve

BTW I'm at 2.0 TV, Needle set at #2, #70 pilots and 130 mains. Plugs still look lean.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by SWest.

Mikuni VM 33 Carbs 26 Feb 2016 07:59 #712573

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationCase in point. Was just sent this link. I wouldn't pay more than $250 for them. Mine has a duel fuel tap where these have one. There is a vacuum tap on #3 carb but I don't see one on these. Spacing seems odd too. Jetting seems more in line with what's called for the Kaw set up but with the cracks and unknowns, :whistle:
I'm going to resync my carbs soon so I will get some pics and a clip.
I'd pass on offering more.
Steve

Last edit: by SWest.

Mikuni VM 33 Carbs 26 Feb 2016 08:00 #712574

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
From reading various threads about tuning 33's, I believe one issue is insufficient signal strength at lower throttle positions on stock and modestly over-bored engines, resulting in problematic tuning difficulties as compared with smaller more readily tuned carbs.

it's reportedly more difficult to achieve a strong steady idle, and more difficult to achieve a strong steady pull-away from idle, which I suspect is due to reduced signal resulting from the larger bore.

At WOT and more open throttle positions, signal strength would be expected to become less of an issue.

In short, the 33's may be "too much carb" for stock and modestly over-bored engines.

It's not uncommon to hear from folks who regret having installed 33's and wish they had opted for 29's or smaller mechanical slide carbs.

My Simple-Simon understanding of "signal strength" is suction power produced through the carb throat during the engine's intake stroke.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

Last edit: by Patton.

Mikuni VM 33 Carbs 26 Feb 2016 08:20 #712577

• daveo
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 622
Regarding VM33's, would Patton's noted concerns be more or less an issue for a stock 1100 motor with 84 GPZ head/cams?
1982 KZ1100-A2

Mikuni VM 33 Carbs 26 Feb 2016 08:24 #712578

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Something else, There's no taps for vacuum sync. They would have to be added on. Mine were poorly done. I think I'd be better off with some CV style carbs being I don't race and my riding style. I go from S/L to 4800' at least once a month.
I knew I should have kept those Suzy carbs. Dang it. :angry:
Steve

Mikuni VM 33 Carbs 26 Feb 2016 08:26 #712579

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014

daveo wrote: Regarding VM33's, would Patton's noted concerns be more or less an issue for a stock 1100 motor with 84 GPZ head/cams?

Honestly IDK. Higher compression right?
Steve

Mikuni VM 33 Carbs 26 Feb 2016 08:35 #712581

• Patton
  • KZr Legend

swest wrote: . . . no taps for vacuum sync. They would have to be added on. . . .

29's fit into stock Z1 carb holders that have vacuum nipples used for syncing.

Do 33's require larger than stock carb holders? :unsure:

Found this helpful thread:
www.vintagebikeforum.org/index.php?topic=2486.msg15817#msg15817

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Last edit: by Patton.

Mikuni VM 33 Carbs 26 Feb 2016 08:47 #712583

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Yes, I have later style holders. No taps. Idle is good albeit my jetting is different than what's called for by the graph from jetsRus.
2.0 slides not 1.5. Turns out 1.5 is richer than 2.0. I had it bass akwards. :blush:
Steve

Mikuni VM 33 Carbs 26 Feb 2016 08:51 #712584

• daveo
  • Premium Member

swest wrote:

daveo wrote: Regarding VM33's, would Patton's noted concerns be more or less an issue for a stock 1100 motor with 84 GPZ head/cams?

Honestly IDK. Higher compression right?
Steve

Stock pistons...with increase of flow through head.
Does increased mixture volume passing through the cylinder affect compression?
If any, what impact does that have when considering carburetor size?
1982 KZ1100-A2

Last edit: by daveo.

Mikuni VM 33 Carbs 26 Feb 2016 08:53 #712585

• Patton
  • KZr Legend

Patton wrote: . . . Found this helpful thread:
www.vintagebikeforum.org/index.php?topic=2486.msg15817#msg15817 . . . .

For ready reference, here's a post by wiredgeorge in the referenced thread:
Re: More Mikuni VM-33 smoothbores
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 06:51:48 AM »
Sorry Thomas, didn't notice your post. The problem with the 33s is the large venturi produces very slow air speed and this requires them to be used on a higher compression and larger displacement bike capable of producing more air speed through the venturi. Smaller bikes, such as a stock KZ900 don't much like the 33s because while they will idle fine, if you quickly twist the throttle, there is a bog. The pilot air jet is either a 1.0 or 1.2. Dropping the pilot air jet to .6 helps the issue. Problem is still there only not as severe. The other main issue with the 33s is no sync. They can be fairly accurately bench sync'd if you have the skills. The holes on the venturi edge? One is a pilot air jet which as i said will be about 1.0 or 1.2. Then the other air jeet is the main air jet which augments airflow when the throttle is shut (main circuit is always working). The other opening is set back farther in the venturi and supplies air to the enrichener circuit. It isn't really a jet but just an open passage about 4mm across. The other castings that look like openings are for show I guess. As far as pilot jets, Sudco's suggestions are semi-insane as I recall... 17.5s are fine but the air screws should be almost closed. A lot of the setting depends on the slide cutaway number. If they are 1.5s, then about 1/4 turn out.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Mikuni VM 33 Carbs 26 Feb 2016 10:12 #712587

• daveo
  • Premium Member

Patton wrote:

Patton wrote: . . . Found this helpful thread:
www.vintagebikeforum.org/index.php?topic=2486.msg15817#msg15817 . . . .

For ready reference, here's a post by wiredgeorge in the referenced thread:
Re: More Mikuni VM-33 smoothbores
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 06:51:48 AM »
Sorry Thomas, didn't notice your post. The problem with the 33s is the large venturi produces very slow air speed and this requires them to be used on a higher compression and larger displacement bike capable of producing more air speed through the venturi. Smaller bikes, such as a stock KZ900 don't much like the 33s because while they will idle fine, if you quickly twist the throttle, there is a bog. The pilot air jet is either a 1.0 or 1.2. Dropping the pilot air jet to .6 helps the issue. Problem is still there only not as severe. The other main issue with the 33s is no sync. They can be fairly accurately bench sync'd if you have the skills. The holes on the venturi edge? One is a pilot air jet which as i said will be about 1.0 or 1.2. Then the other air jeet is the main air jet which augments airflow when the throttle is shut (main circuit is always working). The other opening is set back farther in the venturi and supplies air to the enrichener circuit. It isn't really a jet but just an open passage about 4mm across. The other castings that look like openings are for show I guess. As far as pilot jets, Sudco's suggestions are semi-insane as I recall... 17.5s are fine but the air screws should be almost closed. A lot of the setting depends on the slide cutaway number. If they are 1.5s, then about 1/4 turn out.

Can't vacuum synchronize them? Hmm...
Bench synch :huh: :blink:
1982 KZ1100-A2

Mikuni VM 33 Carbs 26 Feb 2016 10:29 #712591

• KZB2 650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 265
I've read that the slides leak air with the tops off so syncing them gives bad results right Patton? And the 29s are the same right? With 1.5 slides is a 1/4 turn out on the air screw recommended on the 29s too..... sorry Steve need to ask.
1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

Last edit: by KZB2 650.