Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

78 kz1000 with post 81 carbs 30 Jun 2006 08:15 #58251

• udder
  • udder's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
sorry george for the confusion. i have a 78 kz 1000 that has a set of mikuni bs34ss carbs on it from a 81 or newer kz. my question is what is the proper setup for these carbs as far as float set, pilot jet. i currerently have vance and heins 4 into one pipes with k and n air filters. i have been having problems fouling plugs after a week or so. also what is the correct needle size for i would like to replace them and the seats. and where can i purchase them. thanks for the help guys.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

78 kz1000 with post 81 carbs 30 Jun 2006 12:10 #58306

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
www.z1enterprises.com can sell you the float needle/seat parts. They also carry jets. Since I don't know which jet needle/needle jet set up I don't know what the carbs came off of. They used the 34s on lots of models but I would start with either #40 or #42.5 pilot jets and #137.5 to #140 main jets.

As far as plug fouling? Have you checked your valve clearances? Have you checked the voltage at your coils. These two issues are the usual culprits for poor combustion which is the most frequent reason for sooty plugs. If these are OK, your carbs may be an issue but with pods/pipes on your bike, that makes me doubt it.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

78 kz1000 with post 81 carbs 30 Jun 2006 13:25 #58318

• udder
  • udder's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
right now im running a 140 main and a 40 pilot. a buddy told me irroniously to set the thing up the same as his suzuki gs1100 so i got 47.5 (yuck) pilots and kept the 140 mains. then i reset the floats. im wondering if when i set the floats for the suzuki and not the kaw (which ran way too rich) that is giving me problems at least i think so id like to get them back in range. as for the valve clearances and the coil voltage im not sure, i have not checked them nor do i know how to at this present time but ill look into it with some help hopefull. as i say this is my first bike both riding and mechanical so im a little behind you guys but thanks for the tips keep them coming so i can learn thanks george.

• Page: