• Page:

TOPIC:

Is re-jetting with pods neccessary? 13 Jun 2006 18:01 #54326

• quartet25
  • quartet25's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
do pods on a 400 need re-jetting? - 2006/06/12 19:31
I am a new member. I also have a recently re-birthed 79 KZ400. Just look at my member photo! I had this bike for nearly 9 years, and it sat in my garage and accumulated only 800 miles in the time that I had owned it. The surface rust, the boring sun faded and dented tank, the torn seat, etc. had me just about ready to sell it. I figured if I was ready to sell it, then it wouldn't hurt me to try and make it more exciting. And that is just what I did. A total teardown, powdercoating, (including engine covers) tank repair, and new paint, bars, wheel coating, and a Norton style seat pan with a seat I made myself!
I added pod style filters instead of the box and have noticed a starvation of fuel on the low end with a quick throttle twist. I also noticed no noticable adjustements to the needle valve. Has anyone played with pods on a very stock 400 twin? Has anyone experimented with rejetting? Please share with me your experiences so I have some direction to go by.
Thanks, I look forward to sharing my experiences as well.
-quartet25

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Is re-jetting with pods neccessary? 13 Jun 2006 19:21 #54348

• hydrolazer
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
when i put pods on my 75 400 i didnt rejet.the bike ran great and the pipes didnt turn blue either,,,but then maybe i was just lucky
\'79 kaw 1000 ltd

Is re-jetting with pods neccessary? 14 Jun 2006 07:45 #54447

• dtkid
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have different types of pods on all my machines (except the 79' KZ1000 I just purchased.)

I am very familiar with the operation and re-configuring of Mikuni-BS (constant velocity) carbs....not so experienced with the Mikuni-VM carb.

Are your carbs CV or VM??

Is re-jetting with pods neccessary? 14 Jun 2006 12:25 #54496

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
They need to be rejetted.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: