Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Carb question... was(Rode The Big Ugly today!) 07 May 2006 17:42 #45747

• KZReeder
  • KZReeder's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
What a beautiful day! B) Rolled the bike out in the sunshine to work on the carbs and dial in the bike today.

I've got a KZ1000st w/ stock motor, MAC 4-1 and UNI pods with VM28 Mikuni carbs.

I started out with one size up on Main, one size up on the Pilot and two washers up on the needle.

It idled butter smooth while it warmed up then died in cloud of black smoke when I gave it a little gas.

So I decided to start simple... I went back to stock Pilot, one up on the Main and stock needle setting.

At this point, when I started it, it popped really bad through the carbs... figuring that this was running lean, I turned the air screws in so that they were only a half turn out... it ran better but still popped in the carbs.

I took the carbs off and went one up on the pilot... it ran alot better but still pops on occasion... with the air screws 3/4 of a turn out from bottom.

Should I raise the needle 1 washer or go up another size on the pilot? I took it out and rung it out... it got up and went:P I think the main seems OK... any thots?

My sport bike buddies have named my bike (The Big Ugly)... I like it.:lol:

BTW, I totally dusted an older CBR600 off the line today. :silly: I know it's a little silly, but he was a buddy of mine and it was fun on a 30 year old mostly stock bike.:cheer:

Post edited by: KZReeder, at: 2006/05/08 06:14

Post edited by: KZReeder, at: 2006/05/08 08:23
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rode The Big Ugly today! 08 May 2006 03:19 #45838

• KZReeder
  • User

I took the carbs off and went one up on the pilot... it ran alot better but still pops on occasion... with the air screws 3/4 of a turn out from bottom.

Should I raise the needle 1 washer or go up another size on the pilot? I took it out and rung it out... it got up and went I think the main seems OK... any thots?

:( Must be kinda slow around here... not one carb tuner guy with an opinion out there?

Rode The Big Ugly today! 08 May 2006 03:33 #45840

• Nevco48
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Hey KZ,
I'm up. I'm no carb expert, so no advice on that topic from me. I think your bike is sharp, a very "tough" look. Your sport bike buddies are jealous cause their bikes are all plastic and girlie colors....:lol:

Rode The Big Ugly today! 08 May 2006 03:48 #45842

• KZReeder
  • User
Yea, it's funny the reactions that I get... I've really only had it out once but I got a lot of "Mad Max" and "Rat-Rod / Muscle-Bike" comments...B)

It's nice to have it on the road finally, but I'm looking forward to fine tuning it now... mechanically and cosmetically.

I'd say it's about 75% done at this point. Just ordered some more goodies from Z1 Enterprize last night too.

Well... I know Wired George is out for a few days, but I'm hoping that there are few other gurus out there that can point me in the right direction with thes carbs.

Another thought that I had is that I should prolly have the carbs synced as well... but thanks for the reply! I posted my original post yesterday and was suprized that nobody had responded!

:dry::)

Post edited by: KZReeder, at: 2006/05/08 06:52

Rode The Big Ugly today! 08 May 2006 04:21 #45846

• Nevco48
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Sorry, I read your post last night but my typing finger was getting sore!!:P

Rode The Big Ugly today! 08 May 2006 04:51 #45848

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7
KZReeder wrote:

...but thanks for the reply! I posted my original post yesterday and was suprized that nobody had responded!

You might think I'm crazy, but I ignored your post for a while until there were no other new posts of interest for me to read -- because of the subject title, "Rode The Big Ugly today!". This sounds like a adventure title, not necessarily a technical title, so at least I was inclined to skip it until I ran out of technical stuff to read. Maybe that's just me, I don't know.

I suggest that if you want carb advice you change the title to "Need carb advice" or "KZ1000 carb ajustment questions" or something like that. That will be mor elikely to get KZ1000 owners, carb experts, and carb newbies to read it.

Or you can completely ignore my advice if I'm offending you or not making sense...

:)
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

Rode The Big Ugly today! 08 May 2006 05:24 #45851

• KZReeder
  • User
There. How's that! :laugh:

Rode The Big Ugly today! 08 May 2006 07:17 #45865

• lowbuck
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Are you certain it is strictly a carb issue? Maybe it is a combination with ignition, perhaps it's a timing/firing problem that appears to go away as the ignition advance comes in (maybe advancing too slowly?). That might explain the poor off idle performance.

Also, are those clip-ons factory? Like 'em. Really dig the whole bike, actually.

Rode The Big Ugly today! 08 May 2006 07:49 #45866

• rammy
  • User
Were are you needle jets set?? If they are to high you will be getting to much fuel.With them to high it may also effect the idle too (sucking fuel threw jet on idle)Float level??? was it set wet or dry this will have adverse effects also if too high.
The barn yard;77 Kz650B-1 Kaw(the fun one) & 89 classic hog.
Chicago area-south burbs

Rode The Big Ugly today! 08 May 2006 18:58 #46023

• KZReeder
  • User
Well, I've got new plug wires, Dyna green coils, new caps and new plugs...

The jets are as follows:

1 up on main
1 up on pilot
stock needle setting
3/4 turn out on air screw

still popping out of the carbs every once in a while...

Carb question... was(Rode The Big Ugly today!) 09 May 2006 15:18 #46191

• arobsum
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
thats what my 77 kz1000 looks like, sleek and black. i have a lowering kit on mine. nice bike.

• Page: