Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Fuel in carb boots 22 Oct 2005 18:07 #3499

• Willo46
  • Willo46's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Got some new carb boots from Z1 Enterprises Jeff Saunders (super fast shipping!!! ordered Thursday arrived today, what a great guy to do business with!) The old ones were cracked.

Anyway when I pulled the old boots off there was gas puddled in them. I know I didn't leave the petcock on. Where could the gas be coming from? I have VM26's and EMGO pods. I cleaned the carbs and set the float levels a few weeks ago, could I have set them too high, or could it be a symptom of cracked boots?:huh:

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Fuel in carb boots 22 Oct 2005 18:13 #3500

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
W-46 - Gas is atomized in your carburetors and travels THROUGH the boots to get to the combustion chambers. Nothing unusual about the gas puddling in the boots when the bike isn't running... In fact, I would think it would be unusual to find them completely dry...

If there was a BUNCH of gas, you may have the float levels high and some is leaking past the float seats/needles. Make sure you have an inline filter to keep crud from ruining the seal and shut your gas off when parking the bike.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Fuel in carb boots 22 Oct 2005 18:22 #3503

• Willo46
  • Willo46's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Sorry didn't mean to sound like a dummy just seemed like more fuel than I would have expected. There was a puddle in the boot and down in the vacuum plugs. I will recheck the float levels while I have the carbs off and see if the petcock is leaking when it's off!

Have a good one!

Fuel in carb boots 23 Oct 2005 03:52 #3564

• fixer5000
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
every time ive pulled those plugs to check synchronisation theres been fuel in the tubes...i think its normal...steve
1978 kz650b pretty much stock
\\\\\\\" get there fast but arrive alive \\\\\\\"
massachusetts

Fuel in carb boots 23 Oct 2005 06:42 #3582

• John68
  • User
I just did the same thing about 3 hours ago. I pull the vaccuum plug, and said,(like a dummy) "there's gas in here!" then, I realized, there was gasoline in an intake part, duh... Something else to consider. If anyone has ever worked on an old farm tractor with an updraft carb, you will note that there is a gas weep hole on the intake side of the barrel. When you choke an engine, you are essentially cutting off a large amount of the carburetor barrel, from the airbox, and the engine vaccuum pulls a lot of fuel from the main jet, and sucks it up into the engine. whatever doesn't make it up into the combustion chamber, would then fall back down the throat, into the bore, and have no where to go. Hence the "weep hole." I'd imagine that gasoline in a motorcycle could act in a very similar manner, with the higher cylinder pressure, and vaccuum, compared to a little old farmall tractor.

• Page: