• Page:

TOPIC:

Another "Petcock" Related question 09 Mar 2006 21:04 #29747

• newbikekiller
  • newbikekiller's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Here is my situation
I have a 1983 KZ650 CSR and gas leaks out of the "petcock" and out of the fuel sensor mounted on the gas tank.

I should mention that the "Petcock" is actually a rectangular block of steel that has a male hose outlet threaded into it. I have managed to secure the steel block very securely with allen head screws. The Fuel sensor seems to be mounted on the tank with the usual "ring" of rubber a millimeter or so in from its outer edge. Again, the "petcock" and the fuel sensor leak!

My question is thus - WHAT in the world should I use to permenantly seal this rig?

Post edited by: newbikekiller, at: 2006/03/10 00:05

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Another "Petcock" Related question 09 Mar 2006 21:51 #29761

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
Here's a link to some Permatex products.
I've used the Permatex silicone for use on carbs,but I don't see it in this list.There are gas tank sealants listed though...never used any of those,but check out Your local auto-parts store and see what They say.
I just used the Permatex "Motoseal 2" silicone on a plastic tank(dirtbike) when I mounted the petcock.The rubber gasket was old but still intact,so for peace of mind,I added a small,thin bead of the Motoseal,and it doesn't leak.
I've used the same stuff on a carb bowl in place of a gasket(I was doing some testing and didn't have new gaskets at the time)and it worked perfectly.I ran a thin bead where the gasket would have gone and waited for it to semi-set,so I wouldn't get it oozing to the inside of the bowl and get pieces falling off inside and getting into places where You don't want silicone...snugged it up and it held,until I could get a gasket set.
Here's the link to the Permatex products...

www.caswellplating.com/permatex/permrepairprods.html

Here's the Motoseal gasket maker...

permatex.carshopinc.com/product_info.php...ducts_id/42260/30304

Post edited by: sandy, at: 2006/03/10 00:53
1977 KZ1000 A-1

Another "Petcock" Related question 09 Mar 2006 22:05 #29768

• newbikekiller
  • newbikekiller's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Sandy you're on the ball tonight!

I was thinking that I might prefer to cut my own rubber gasket material, but if no one knows where to get something like that - I guess I'll just go with the goop.

How long does motoseal take to set?
20 minutes thats how long!

Post edited by: newbikekiller, at: 2006/03/10 01:07

Another \"Petcock\" Related question 09 Mar 2006 22:24 #29773

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
LOL...on the ball?...I'm heading to BED...I'm falling asleep!:blink:
I wouldn't mess around with trying to make a gasket...that Motoseal really works...all by Itself.Let it set up a bit(skin up) so it has some consistency to it,or it might just squish and not quite seal well enough.
Good luck,Bud.
1977 KZ1000 A-1

Another \"Petcock\" Related question 10 Mar 2006 05:48 #29818

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
There is a good sealer that came with my petcock, it's called "Hylomar" and is blue. It's made for sealing the petcock to the tank. I used the gasket that came with it too, applied Hylomar to both sides. No leaks after 2,000 miles.
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

• Page: