Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Problems setting idle 08 Mar 2006 12:32 #29400

• storysunfolding
  • storysunfolding's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm having troubles setting the idle on my bike. The idle adjust screw on the carb is all the way out, and she's still at 3k rpm. I'm not sure how to adjust it from the handlebar but I'm sure that's where my problem is. Do I tighten one and loosen the other, or tighten/loosen them both at the same time?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Problems setting idle 08 Mar 2006 12:59 #29405

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Hmmmmm storysunfolding? Put a bit of that story in your signature by going to your profile and editing your signature to add your bike year/model. Perhaps also adding your location would allow a local KZRider member to drop right on by and help you! If not, the bike year/model would give the question some context. Thanks! Also, I moved this from the engine section... wiredgeorge Moderator
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Problems setting idle 08 Mar 2006 15:03 #29439

• fergyfer
  • User
It sounds like your throttle isn't even hitting the stop. Sounds like your cables are adjusted too tight.

Problems setting idle 08 Mar 2006 15:19 #29442

• storysunfolding
  • storysunfolding's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
The throttle hits the stop... so that's why I'm wondering how to lower the idle speed.

Problems setting idle 08 Mar 2006 17:29 #29473

• NOS
  • User
check the needle slides in the carbs by looking into the barrels. (hmm...hope I said that right :unsure: )
You may have one or more stuck open. Have you checked your jets? you may be missing one or one that is too large.Also, check to see if your idle adjust screw is stripped.
I'm just grasping at straws here with the info you gave, just keep trying and you will get it :)

Post edited by: NOS, at: 2006/03/08 20:31

Problems setting idle 09 Mar 2006 05:40 #29551

• tw..
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
As said already try adjusting the idle screw on the carbs where the throttle cables attach to the carb.

tw
2-1976 KZ900 A4
1995 KZ1000 Police bike
1978 Z1R

Problems setting idle 09 Mar 2006 06:18 #29558

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
AHA! I KNOW WHAT KIND OF BIKE IT IS SO I CAN GIVE AN ANSWER! VM24 roundslide carbs and push/pull throttle cables... OK, here is what you do...

FIRST, the cables must have some slack in them. Bend over and look at the cable towards the rear of the bike. That is the cable that opens your throttle and if it is too tight, the throttle stays open. Don't mess with the adjustment at the carb side but go up to your right hand switchgear and find the end of the cable that hooks to your throttle. On the cable is a barrel adjuster and locknut. Loosen the locknut and turn the barrel TOWARD you and WATCH the slack in the cable near the carburetor. When you get a bit of slack, tighten the locknut up at the barrel. Do the same for the RETURN cable. If the idle still hangs, your slide heights are out of adjustment and you need to readjust those and resync the carburetors. It sounds like this might be a tad beyond you at this stage so try the cable adjustment first.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Problems setting idle 09 Mar 2006 10:13 #29616

• gas
  • User
When all is said and done you should also have a tiny bit of play in the throttle grip 2-3 mm, before feeling cable resistance. A tiny bit though, too much and you'll lurch around like a drunken sailor.

• Page: