Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Air Pods with Mikuni Flatslides 27 Feb 2006 17:36 #26887

• TuffyToo
  • TuffyToo's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm looking to upgrade to a set of 34mm Mikuni RS Flatsides on my 1975 Z1. Can I fit air pods on these carbs without cutting on my sidecovers. Anybody using RS flatsides that can give some advice?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Air Pods with Mikuni Flatslides 27 Feb 2006 20:45 #26954

• wireman
  • Visitor
ive got 29s on my 74 and dont have any clearance problems.have you done anything internally to motor or head?:whistle:

Air Pods with Mikuni Flatslides 28 Feb 2006 03:54 #27011

• TuffyToo
  • User
The motor has been completely reworked by Joe Foster @ Performance Cycle. New 1015 Sleeves, pistons, and rings. Valve job with new seals, heavy duty springs, and new valves. Welded crank, new heavy duty cam chain, back cut 2nd gear, glass beaded, etc...

I've been looking at the new Mikuni RS Flatsides. (RS34-D21-K) from Pingel. I can pay $300 -500 for a good set of used 29 mm smoothbores, or pay the $600.00 for a brand new set of flatslides.
I've got a lot of money tied up in this bike. $2000 in chrome alone! I'd really like to use these flatsides, but I don't want to be cutting on my pristine sidecovers to install air filters pods.

If I can't successfully install these flatsides without sidecover modifications, I'll be in the market for some 29 mm smoothbores.

I was hoping Jeff Saunders, Wired George, or yourself may read this post and know somebody who's put these flatsides on a Z1.

Air Pods with Mikuni Flatslides 28 Feb 2006 05:22 #27022

• wireman
  • Visitor
stock ports and boots are too small for 34s,thats why i was asking about head.:whistle: goodluck,happy wrenching

Air Pods with Mikuni Flatslides 28 Feb 2006 09:11 #27072

• elseed
  • User
I have the oval pods (Pro-flo, I think) on my RS34 carbs. I had to trim my (non-pristine cheapo Maier replica) side covers to fit them, fortunately a pre-paint exercise. I am not sure how others do it -- I think there are also round pod styles that perhaps are not so fat. Don't know if pic helps:
'75 Z1B with mods

Air Pods with Mikuni Flatslides 28 Feb 2006 17:30 #27196

• TuffyToo
  • User
Elseed,

So how do you like the flatsides? I didn't have any porting done to my heads. But, I do know they make intake manifolds to match the Z1 heads with the 34's. Do you think the carbs would be too big without porting?

I guess I could get another set of sidecovers to modify if I can't find pods that will work.

Thanks,
jack

Air Pods with Mikuni Flatslides 28 Feb 2006 18:26 #27207

• wireman
  • Visitor
look inside the boots with the carbs off they should be fairly close to the same when you put bigger boots on engine there will be a step where the boots and the ports meet up which takes away from the affect of bigger carbs.;) goodluck,happy wrenching!

Air Pods with Mikuni Flatslides 01 Mar 2006 08:54 #27290

• elseed
  • User
Tuffy -- the flatslides are great, super performance, but perhaps most importantly were very easy to tune. I think they would work a bit better on my combination with a 1075 motor. With my cams, the bike performance doesn't get serious until about 5500rpm.

Like wireman said: I would think you really need to bore/blend the intake ports to match the bigger intake manifolds and carb throat, or you will likely lose a lot of the benefit of bigger carbs. You mention specific intake manifolds? I think most use the J model intakes, which work with the 34s -- but there's a step to the Z1 intake. FWIW, the oldkawman has a brief tutorial on porting and a couple relevant pics of that intake situation if you feel like getting frisky with a dremel... here :
'75 Z1B with mods

• Page: