Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

manifold pressure with spring gauge 17 Oct 2005 18:39 #2417

• GargantuChet
  • GargantuChet's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I just got a used spring gauge that I won on eBay ( this one), and decided to hook it up to see what sort of readings I got.

I pulled the rubber nipple off of the carb mount and hooked up the gauge. When I started the bike, the needle was vibrating back and forth really quickly across a wide area of the dial.

I haven't checked valve clearance (something has to wait for winter!), and the compression is uniformly low (105 PSI) across all cylinders.

Has anyone used spring-type gauges to measure manifold vacuum? Should the vacuum pulse quickly, or remain steady?

Or should I really avoid touching the carbs, even just hooking up a vacuum gauge for fun, until I verify valve clearance and locate the source of the low compression?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

manifold pressure with spring gauge 18 Oct 2005 00:46 #2488

• Wolfman@SparksAmerica
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
that gauge will pulse greatly, if I was going to use it to sync my carbs I would install a valve in the line to dampen the pulses. If this was the only gauge I had to do the job it could be made to work but a multi-gauge set like from JC Whitneys or the bike shop would be better suited to sync'n the carbs than the one you bought.

manifold pressure with spring gauge 18 Oct 2005 00:59 #2490

• fixer5000
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
what you need for that is a pnuematic flow control with barbed ends. i made up a set of 4 regular vacuum gauges and used them to snubber the fluctuations... works great...steve
1978 kz650b pretty much stock
\\\\\\\" get there fast but arrive alive \\\\\\\"
massachusetts

• Page: