Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

New Petcock - Vacuum vs. Non-Vacuum 16 Oct 2005 23:55 #2278

• HappyDave
  • HappyDave's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I've been away for quite some time, so if anyone remembers me I'm back, and still alive. So, hello again. This place has changed quite a bit since I had internet last!

My petcock leaks like crazy. I've heard nothing but bad things about petcock rebuilds. I found a cheap non-vacuum operated Pingel petcock through z1enterprises that should fit my tank with an adapter plate.

Will a non-vacuum petcock work when replacing a vacuum petcock if I block off the carb suction ports (not sure of actual term) and I vent the tank through the gas cap. I was thinking of putting some sort of dirt bike type vent tube on a nipple on the gas cap routed to the bottom of the bike.

Thanks!

Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New Petcock - Vacuum vs. Non-Vacuum 17 Oct 2005 06:28 #2309

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Welcome to the new site. The vacuum petcock was developed because most needle/seat assemblies will leak if the bike is parked and the gas is left on. The vacuum petcock also introduces another element that can go wrong and it often does. A gravity petcock is simpler and you will have less problems but you WILL need to remember to shut it when parking the bike.

In order to use the vacuum petcock, you will need to put a vacuum cap on the vacuum spigot on your carburetor where the hose connecting to the petcock had been.

This spigot IS NOT used to vent the carburetors and merely needs capping and you don't need a "dirt bike" vent hose on your gas cap if you go with a gravity petcock.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

New Petcock - Vacuum vs. Non-Vacuum 17 Oct 2005 07:27 #2319

• HappyDave
  • HappyDave's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
That was a huge help! Thanks!

Dave

New Petcock - Vacuum vs. Non-Vacuum 17 Oct 2005 15:54 #2383

• DanOz7Five0
  • User
My carbs are set up for the vacuum petcock and all I did to the carbs to block it with my gravity fed petcock was to squeeze some silicone into the tube for it. The other bike I have the vacuum petcock on so I guess I will be using that tube anyway.

• Page: