Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

my hands after using cleaner 23 Jan 2006 17:45 #19542

• ollie
  • ollie's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
been cleaning up a couple of sets of carbs ,after using carb cleaner my hands are cracked and sore and no amount of hand cream is helping ,has anyone used a cream which helps .yep i know now i should have worn gloves .
also is there a good method for cleaning the outer carb bodies
many thanks :whistle: ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

my hands after using cleaner 23 Jan 2006 18:58 #19557

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
I have had pretty good luck with some stuff called "Bag Balm" It's really greasy stuff, fact is it looks like bearing grease. Sometimes I would put cotton gloves on after applying it, and wear them for a night while sleeping. Works good in my opinion. You can find the stuff in a pharmacy. I won't tell ya what it was originally made for, you'll just have to find that out for yourself.:lol:
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

my hands after using cleaner 23 Jan 2006 19:11 #19561

• BRGMGBGT
  • User
Been there, done that, have the dry split fingers to prove it.
I use Keri lotion, works great for me.
Couple of days and my hands seem to heal up.
:)

my hands after using cleaner 23 Jan 2006 20:01 #19569

• savedrider
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
  • Thank you received: 1
What solvent/cleaner were you using that caused this?
Get right or get left! <*{{{><

my hands after using cleaner 23 Jan 2006 20:35 #19576

• kawtoy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
Like OKC mentioned wearing gloves after putting on the lotion will help. My hands are very dry during the winter. I really lather on the lotion and then put on a pair of gloves and wear them to bed. By morning my hands are nice and smooth.
Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

my hands after using cleaner 23 Jan 2006 21:13 #19579

• GargantuChet
  • User
My girlfriend has eczema, and swears by a product called Aquaphor . Eczema outbreaks involve dry, cracking and flaking skin with pain and irritation, similar to what you're facing now.

I bought her a big jar of it about four years ago and she's still got some left. A little goes a long way. I've used it after getting too liberal with brake wash and other fun solvents, and it does do the job quite well.

It should be available at your local drug store. Look for a white jar with a blue cap.

my hands after using cleaner 24 Jan 2006 06:01 #19605

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
I have more experience with cracked fingers/hands than most anyone on the planet bwhahaha... I use nitrile gloves when sticking my hands into the carb dip but still spray enough random carb cleaner on my hands and fingers where they stay cracked a lot. One thing that helps with the cracks is some stuff you can get at Walmart in the drug section. It is FOR cracks. It comes in a small brown bottle and you apply it to cracks and it looks like glue. It hardens and fills in the crack and makes them more comfy. It DOES NOT STING. They also make a product called Liquid Bandaid and it is the same stuff but smarts when you apply it to open cracks. They also sell hand cream for cracked hands. It stinks but works well. It comes in a white tube with blue cap and its label says Cracked something or the other (I don't have one in front of me). It works to heal dry and cracked hands far more quickly than normal hand cream.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

my hands after using cleaner 24 Jan 2006 15:47 #19718

• ollie
  • ollie's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
thanks guys ,managed to get some cream for my hands and they have at least stopped stinging and the dryness is getting better ,its made in norway for fishermens hands called neutrogena and its very thick but works extremley well .as i can see i'm not the only one that cleaner has caught out ...lol
once again thanks for your comments ;)

my hands after using cleaner 25 Jan 2006 12:02 #19852

• rodneyo
  • User
Bag balm is what dairy farms put on cow teats when there chapped.It works great on hands.

my hands after using cleaner 25 Jan 2006 14:22 #19865

• Shoe48
  • User
  • Live each day as it is your last
  • Thank you received: 5
Ever clean carbs in Carb cleaner then clean parts in mineral spirts ? Your hands will start smoking Hummmmmm Brings new meaning to smoking hands ? Oh thats right its guns .(:
. I use a good D&L Or that orange hand cleaner from the parts store it helps .. Brake Fluid is hard on the nails if you are in it very long , We used Bag Balm on the kids when they were babies for diaper rash then later when I was in the garage for chaffing in work pants ,, Your right about the cow thing, If I remember it kinda has an odor about it too, anyway,, Later , Shoe

• Page: