Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Hey ! All you carb gurus ! 17 Jan 2006 15:28 #18304

• 50 bucks
  • 50 bucks's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a weird question. I dissassembled the two carbs(Kiehin 36 cv) on the 50 bucker this last weekend, and noticed something strange. On one carb, there is a plastic plug over the pilot jet passage in the bowl area ,but not theother. I figure that there should be one in each carb, or none in two, given the circumstance. My question is ( taa daa) can you use RTV or any-old-thing to plug the hole, or does it have to be a $13.50 piece of manipulated plastic from Kawasaki ? I need experience/knowlege here. Ohhhhhh, for a Quadrajet.

Post edited by: 50 bucks, at: 2006/01/17 18:29

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hey ! All you carb gurus ! 17 Jan 2006 17:41 #18326

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 435
Word of warning here - I'm definitely not a carb guru.

On my Keihin CV 34's there are and should be plastic plugs with an O ring over all the pilot jet passages. The feed for the pilot jet comes off the main via an internal passage. You can probably double check if you go to www.kawasaki.com. select owner info and work your way towards parts diagrams.
I suppose you could try any old bung but what if it gets dissolved by gas ? - could lead to more problems than its worth.

Better yet - wait for a real guru.
PS - I like your handle. I admire those who restore but have to admit I just do enough to keep the beast running well and safe.

Woodstock ON Canada
1980 kz750E1, 4->1, K&N pods
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

Hey ! All you carb gurus ! 17 Jan 2006 18:14 #18333

• 50 bucks
  • 50 bucks's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for the reply and the complement on the nick. I have checked a few sites out and they show the o-ringed bung stopper. At $13.50 US. I think it's excessive. But, if nothing cheaper will work, I'll do the grab-the-wallet -and-scream technique. As far as restoration, I'm with you. I bought 2 EMGO pods to replace the airbox which is missing. From what I've read about airboxes and carburetor access, I think pods are the way to go.And did I mention they're cheap!
I raise a cold Labatts Blue in your direction , and give a toast to a 'saki owner cross the border- EH !:lol:

Hey ! All you carb gurus ! 18 Jan 2006 07:54 #18432

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
The plugs are needed because gas is NOT picked up via the float bowl directly for the pilot system but is drawn by a side passageway from the main jet holder tube area. If the plugs are not in place, the carb on that side will run way too rich. You can NOT use RTV which is silicon based and will melt and make a mess. You CAN use replacment plugs that are cheaper. I suggest you call z1enterprises.com. I think Jeff may be able to help with a K&L plug from a Suzuki. They are sold in packs and a pack is a lot cheaper than $13. I don't recall the part number but the ONLY other similar plugs are for Hondas and those are too small and won't work.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: