Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

keihin carb question. 05 Jan 2006 03:19 #16074

• 50 bucks
  • 50 bucks's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Ok. I'm new to motorcycle carbs, but worked with auto carbs for a while. These carbs were worked on by a previous owner and I found a few obvious problems. Like the slide on one carb was spun 180 degrees so the choke plate instead of clearing it by moving into the machined flat on the slide, hit the slide ,and wouldn't open all the way.I opened the carb and spun the slide to it's proper position. Which brings me to my question- looking at the carbs from the choke plate side, one carbs choke plate will open fully horizontal, the other carbs plate only opens maybe 20-30 degrees from horizontal. Is this normal? It doesn't seem so to me. But the only place I can see where I could move the plate to horizontal is in the choke shaft connection between the two carbs. Am I missing something here in my ignorance ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

keihin carb question. 05 Jan 2006 06:38 #16092

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
I suggest that you edit your profile / signature to reflect your bike year and model and where you live. Helps provide meaningful advise and local KZRider members might just drop by and give you a hand, if one is in the area.

BTW: If you have twin Keihin carbs, both choke butterflies and both throttle butterflies should open simultaeously and to the same degree.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

keihin carb question. 05 Jan 2006 11:25 #16116

• 50 bucks
  • 50 bucks's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you, Sir. I fiquired as much on the butterfly thing, wanted to confirm it. And as to the profile, soon as I figure out how to do it, I will do so.

keihin carb question. 05 Jan 2006 11:39 #16121

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
To type in a signature, or add an avatar (small picture to the left of posts), click on -> my profile -> my settings

That is all there is to it. The picture addition is a tad more difficult as you have to shrink it to the size allowed by the site software. To do this, I use MSPaint and shrink a .jpg image. Good luck!

Oh yeah, I was thinking about your original question and the reason that the butterflies don't seat simultaneously (choke) is that whoever split the two carbs the last time didn't do it quite right. Loosen up the mount screws top and bottom that hold the mount brackets on and retighten them so the choke flats shut at the same time. You will just have to play with tightening the mount screws but that generally is what causes the #2 carb's butterfly to stay a bit ajar when it should be closed with #1.

Post edited by: wiredgeorge, at: 2006/01/05 14:44
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: