Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

How exactly do you use a bolt as a throttle stop? 08 May 2007 07:39 #138145

• pyxen
  • pyxen's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
I need to replace the throttle stop/idle screw on my bike as it busted, but I'm not sure what the best way to do it is.. I'm kinda thinking I should grab a bolt and stick it through the existing brackets and just put a couple nuts on it so that it doesnt move anymore, but is there a specific way that works best? Do they ever come loose due to vibration? :huh:

Are throttle stop screws a standard metric thread pitch, or is it another proprietary piece that's not replaceable with a normal bolt?

The think lists for $80 at the stealership.. $50 on RonAyers..plus shipping and exchange for me. :pinch:

Is idle *really* that necessary? :lol:
84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

How exactly do you use a bolt as a throttle stop? 08 May 2007 08:05 #138155

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
Check with Wired George...the carb Guru.He might have a spare He could sell You?
I'm sure He's got a pile of junk carbs that would still have the idle screw.:whistle:

OR...find the right threaded bolt,and do like You suggested,but don't forget to put a spring on it,or it WILL vibrate.
You could use the 2 nuts,but in between the 2 nuts...get a large flat washer,and cut a bunch of notches on the outer edge of it,for grip...just like the original.
If You can't find a bolt long enough,check out some auto parts stores for some metric "Ready-Rod" and just cut it to length. B)
1977 KZ1000 A-1

How exactly do you use a bolt as a throttle stop? 08 May 2007 08:56 #138171

• 77KZ650
  • User
hmmm, what do you mean by busted? if its just coming out of adjustment, wrap some teflon tape on the threads to make it a snug fit again. i had to do it to my 650
07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

How exactly do you use a bolt as a throttle stop? 08 May 2007 11:14 #138213

• pyxen
  • User
The throttle stop screw on my carbs seems to be non-stock, and closely resembles the one on a ZR550. It's about 8" long, and has a double-wound spring between the threaded portion, and the rod with the knob on it. It allows the screw to bend 90 degrees and stick out on the left, as opposed to being short and between the #s 2&3 carbs.

I don't know if I can fix it or not..the spring frayed at the screw end, and broke off..I'll post pics when I get home later to show ya.

For now though, I've taken the carbs off the bike, and bought a bunch of different bolts to see if they'll work..if I can find a set it and forget it setting, I'll just do that.

It got to the point where I was sitting at a light and my bike was idling at 3000rpm. That's a little fast. :P
84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

How exactly do you use a bolt as a throttle stop? 08 May 2007 14:54 #138303

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Sandy, I work on about 100 Keihin or Mikuni racks compared to Tekei... I just can't recall but it is likely that the Tekei, like Mikuni or Keihin screws are 6mm with .75 pitch which is fine thread... not something that will be in a hardware. I also can't recall the CV Tekei throttle screw but some of them are essentially NOT screws but a flex shaft with a screw end. The screw end fits into a threaded cast hole in the #2 carb body and once you get the screw threaded through the hole, it pushes on the bellcrank to open the throttle or a tang welded to the bellcrank.

The flex shaft generally is retained by a small bracket that screws onto a carb top by a mount bolt that holds the top.

The Keihin 78 KZ400 carbs have this set up as do some of the others.

Pyxen, if you use a bolt, you will want to adjust the bolt. A normal idle screw has a threaded part and a shank and uses a spring on the threaded part to keep it from backing out from vibration. If you can get a good die, you can cut a 1/4" bolt down to 6mm and use a .75 die... I would personally measure the thread in the cast part on the #2 carb body if possible using a metric pitch gauge.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

How exactly do you use a bolt as a throttle stop? 08 May 2007 20:08 #138394

• pyxen
  • User
Thanks George - I've used an M5 bolt, with a standard pitch. It's changed the thread on the bracket, however I don't feel that's an issue.

The replacement part is way too much, and the fix is working. I'm going to try and find something that works a little bit better - however I can adjust it just fine using a 4mm allen key, and that will be easier once I get a 4mm socket instead. It's now a set-it idle, and I'll just have to baby it when starting. My choke is a little hit and miss.. have to do some troubleshooting there still.
84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

• Page: