Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Air flow, 750M1 w/pods 06 May 2007 09:32 #137552

• ronjones
  • ronjones's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
I'm so close I can smell it...You can see in my sig line what I'm working with. I've recently done a valve adjustment on my bike, which necessitated removing my cam. But this is not related to this repair. Before doing this work the bike was behaving pretty good. Some minor hesitation when giving it throttle and a few pops through the muffler. It seemed to be running a bit lean and I attributed it to my main jet being a bit small (stock is 115 and I'm running a 117.5) so figured I needed to go up to a 120. Since I had the bike apart for the cam work I put the 120's in. After finding a few glitches, I've got her running pretty good, idles great, except...she wants to die when I give her throttle, particularly when I go up hill. I can only keep her running by high reving and sometimes that doesn't work. However when I tape off most of the pod surface area she runs fantastic.
Diaphragms work fine, smooth and holds vacuum well, although I did find some grit on them when I checked them. I've been suspicious of the pods before. They are junkyard used (free) and I think one may have a smaller throat diameter than I need. They are also the round type and when I check the type I need the oval type is recommended.
I really don't want to go back to the air box and I don't mind spending the $ for a new set, of pods, if it will solve my problem. So what'cha y'all think? Am I on the right track? Or do you think it's something else...like maybe the new 120 jets are sized wrong? Something I don't understand is that the ovals have more surface area so more air would be getting into the carbs but I need to reduce the surface area, on the pods I have now. Or are these pods so shot that they are about as good as open carb throat?
Any thoughts welcome:)
Thanks
Ron
'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Air flow, 750M1 w/pods 06 May 2007 10:20 #137569

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
By blocking part of the air flow you are richening the mixture, so it must be running to lean. There is a possibilty that the pods are not doing much filtering, and passing more air than they are supposed to, so maybe you should try new pods first?

I have a set of the oblong K&N pods that I'm saving for a future motor build.
KD9JUR

Air flow, 750M1 w/pods 08 May 2007 12:33 #138247

• ronjones
  • ronjones's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Thanks for the reply, Steve. I've ordered a pair from Z1. Just wanted to throw it out in case there was something else I was overlooking.
'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

Air flow, 750M1 w/pods 08 May 2007 14:04 #138278

• tjettim
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I have had good luck with the tapered
round filters and the tapered oval filters.
With the straight round ones the bike would
stall or stutter on quick throttle openings.
I think it was pulling a suction against the
back of the filter.I put my old 26s off my
kz1000 on my cousins SR650.Tapered round pods,
Racer One pipe.17.5 pilots,stock needles center,
125 main jets.It ran great.

• Page: